The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shortest amount of notice??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
I once got called 30 minutes before I was needed to perform. A magician cancelled on this lady at the last minute and she called the store (has a magic counter) where I worked in panic. When I talked to her on the phone she was practically crying because she promised her son a magician for his birthday party and she didn't know what to do. She offered me double what she was going to pay the other magician but I refused and told to just pay me what she had planned to pay because I'm a nice guy (and a stupid one too). Luckily my boss let me leave work to do the party.
I improv'd the hell out of the show (luckily that's when I do best) but thank god I worked at a magic shop, I was able to borrow spongeballs and things. It was probably one of the best performing experiences I've had and I was able to hand out business cards to the parents. Oh and I got paid $150 for an hours work (45 minutes of performing). That sure beat the $6.85 I would've gotten if I stayed at work.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I was called a couple of hours before an Assisted Living Center was having their opening party. The scheduled entertainer couldn't make it. Luckily it was only 4 blocks from my house.

Being prepared doesn't only apply to the scouts.

An aside...I have only had to cancel one program in many years. It was due to an unscheduled surgery. It is good to have a list of performers that you can suggest. As everyone knows make sure they are of very high quality as well as ethical.

Harris "too old to know everything" deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Like Michael Baker, I was on my way out the door from a restaurant and was invited to perform at another function (sadly not as Glam as Mike's) for 2 hours. I was paid cash on the spot and drove to the address. I did my thing and on my way out the door, was invited to perform for ANOTHER gig. Paid cash on the spot and drove to that address.

It was a very profitable and LONG EVENING for me as I didn't get home that night until 5am. I slept where I fell...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 00:02, photius wrote:
I once misread my calendar and ran off to do a gig I thought I had forgotten in 10 min. Show went great, good applause, went home then realized I just did the gig a day early and had no clue of who I just performed for (for free). I literally barged on interupting the lady speaking up front presuming she was stalling for time since I hadn't arrived. Show was probably better than her speech anyway. Beyond that one about 2 hrs is the shortest I actually got for a paying gig.

That's the funniest thing I've read here in a LONG, LONG time!!!!!!!!!!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I was walking out the door from a nightclub that was closing at 2 a.m. Was asked if I would follow a celebrating birthday party group to the next spot. Wound up not only entertaining them but judged a late night wet t-shirt contest and got paid for it. Didn't get home till the sun came up, but what a night.
JayH
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
140 Posts

Profile of JayH
Now you can apply your CV "Wet t-shirt judge". Wish I have more that kinda gigs Smile
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
Not quite on topic, but . . .

Once upon a time, I had a regular gig in a revue show in the SW sububs of Chicago. (The Sabre Room). Was doing an 8-10 min dove/manip act.

One weekend, I was booked for Friday or Sat at a magic convention in Ohio, but planned to be back for the Sunday matinee at the Sabre Room. (say 4pm show time)

It took about an hour to set up, dress and load, so I arrived right on time at 2:30--to find show time had been moved up. The show had just started. In an instant, I went from a half hour of cushion to very late. (this was way before cell phones.)

I think I skipped the makeup, and they pushed my spot back to later in the show. But it was a close one, but I made it.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Years ago, I got a call that asked ".. can you be at our party RIGHT NOW?"
I could because I keep a show packed and ready to go. So 0 minutes....
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I received a call from one of the VIP members asking if I could fill in for a mutual friend. He was stranded in LV because his flight was canceled. The gig was suppose to have started a few minutes ago, and I live 15 minutes from the venue having just got out of the shower. I called the client's cell phone, but couldn't fish the gig out of the toilet. If I had been given an hour's notice, the gig would have been a done deal.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 22:55, Michael Baker wrote:
Getting pulled to another gig directly from one being worked has happened to me several times. Finished a restaurant one night and was paid on the spot to hop in a limo parked out front and work for a bachelorette party while we all drove around town. Dang... I miss being young and good looking...

Come now Michael, you know it's not as great as people think. Being a handsome devil has it's drawbacks to. . . or so I'm told.

To answer the original question: 15minutes.
IT was for a birthday show. A friend of mine had been booked for it, but he had locked his keys in his car and was waiting for AAA. He called and asked if I could cover for him, since he knows I keep my kid show packed and ready to go.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Several come to mind. Here are a couple.

I was performing a cocktail party in the hallway of a hotel outside the main ballroom. There were several other parties going on this particular evening. As luck would have it the owner from another company overheard the people talking about the magician and he enquired. The next thing I knew he was standing in front of me watching my act after which he asked me to come and entertain at his party. Finished the first went to his just down the hall. Somehow the word continued to spread and my 1 hour cocktail hour turned into three seperate events. Very long yet profitable evening.

I was doing a private halloween party in someones home and while I was there the owner of the house told me that one of his neighbors was having a party and wanted to stop by and see me. They did and 15 minutes later I was asked to the other event. It's great when these things happen and you don't have anything else going on that particular evening.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
SO...those stories being told...would you raise your rates instantly if the gig were an "emergency"?

Steve
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
WOW. Got me thinking with that question Steve.

I would say it depends. If I was already at a gig, then probably not. But if I was at home just relaxing, then yes, I'd knock up the rates for sure. Smile

Best.
Steve
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 10:26, Magic_Steve wrote:

I would say it depends. If I was already at a gig, then probably not. But if I was at home just relaxing, then yes, I'd knock up the rates for sure. Smile

Best.
Steve

Right Steve...How dare they disturb your 'beauty rest'. Smile
andyhurst
View Profile
New user
Somerset, UK
64 Posts

Profile of andyhurst
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 06:25, Stevethomas wrote:
SO...those stories being told...would you raise your rates instantly if the gig were an "emergency"?

Steve

Yes! People pay more for an emergency plumber or locksmith - why not a magician!

Andy
Andy Hurst
----------
http://www.andyhurstmagic.com/
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 11:00, PaleoMagi wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 10:26, Magic_Steve wrote:

Best.
Steve

Right Steve...How dare they disturb your 'beauty rest'. Smile

Exactly. I'm high maintenance for cryin' out loud! LOL! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shortest amount of notice??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL