The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Off Topic: Any Jewish Magic?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Peeps,

I like to start off by saying I am christian. I didn't know where to post this. Sorry if it offends anyone.

I sometimes work for some event planner that keeps booking my show at Barmitzahs's.

Does anyone know if someone is selling jewish themed magic?

I specifically need something for "Shushan Purim".

G0THIKE
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Not off hand, but you might try asking in the thread below.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=134&39

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You should be able to take effects that you have and put a routine to it...if you don't know the subject matter, then it's not best to try to illustrate it unless you put in some study.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...
I don't know of anyone that is selling any decent "Jewish themed" magic... I do Jewish educational shows, and build the shows using "conventional" items.
Tricks regarding the Jewish holiday of Purim are difficult to think up, because of no "obvious" miracles in the story of Purim... you can start by reading the Story of Esther (Megillah Esther) to familiarize yourself with the holiday.
It's called "Purim" from a word meaning "lots" as in "casting of lots"- the method used by the evil Haman to determine the date on which to exterminate Jews. You could use a force bag (i.e. clear force bag) that causes anyone picking to pull out a card with the date of the evil decree as written in the Megillah.

Since Purim is ultimately of holiday of joy and celebration for Jewish people, celebrated with gifts to the poor (money as well as food baskets), as well as gifts to friends (usually food baskets too), perhaps you could work up something with bottomless basket, or appearances of food items from "empty" box ,etc.

Again, best place to start would be to familiarize yourself with the holiday and its common customs... of course, you could always turn down the gig if you feel uncomfortable with it.
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Sounds great Yosef...
I'd love to see you perform some of this.
Mark
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings Mark...
There are some other threads here on "Jewish" effects... i.e. for Chanukah, there is the "8 day supply of oil from the one day size jar" lota jar (I had previously posted a link to pix of the jug I made, but the server hosting the pix is down now), a "temple" which works via squared circle principles, magic baking of holiday treats via dove pan etc. etc. wand to snake for Moses's staff to snake, rainbow mouth coil for use in Noah's ark story (colored stripes of paper turn into rainbow), etc.

For some reason, every time I've tried to vid a show the vid has gotten messed up-- someone bumps into the tripod; talks near the camera; runs out the battery/tape; leaves lens cap on, !!!

But as the shows are "The Story of ..." whatever holiday and not actually billed as "magic shows" they might seem boring to someone expecting a whole lot of magic without the filler...(!)
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I think Moses covered it pretty well.

Sorry, could not resist.
Kevin
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Steven's magic used to sell a "loaded top" in the catalog. It had numbers on its 4 or 6 sides and would spin to the desired number.

Try rigging up a Dradle to do the same thing.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
I've done a show for Purim, it was a lot of fun... also very noisey children!

You could custom design a "Temple Screen" with appropriate jewish symbols. Then produce the gifts to the poor. Turn the screen around Smile to show new symbols and produce different items. Wine would be very appropriate here, even with kids in the audience (It was on the tables at my show!)

The custom of Purim also includes wearing festive masks and costumes, perhaps you can use a seance cloth, or a Handz Up and have masks change on your head simply by raising and lowering a cloth.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Off Topic: Any Jewish Magic?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL