The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Defining Impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
I've searched for a thread about this and here is what I found. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

Since that topic is old and LOCKED, I thought I would start up a new one. I'm curious to know what your definition of Impromptu magic is.

Is it magic that appears impromptu? Is it magic that requires no props? Is it magic that can be done at a moments notice with borrowed objects? Is it magic that doesn't use any gaffs or set-up? I want to see what other's think.

If you can point to a recent thread that already discusses this than that's fine.

I just wanted to see how others defined "Impromptu". I've ran into many different views about the subject and I am surprised at how much they vary. I think it's important to determine the definition of impromptu especially when it comes to selling magic tricks and effects. I've seen many effects that claimed to be impromptu but weren't in the least.

Post your ideas.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is an open thread discussing this topic. See it at:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=52&2

And there are closely related topics, for example:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

To me impromptu is simply being prepared. (Remember the six “P”s? Proper Preparedness Prevents **** Poor Performance.) That is being prepared to use what is at hand.

So my definition: Impromptu performing is being prepared to perform using what is at hand with in the environment.

How you get there is to know what is usually available to you in any given situation or environment. Then at home, at your leisure, practice a routine or two with that typical object. For example, what three tricks can you do with a borrowed bill? Have you mastered them and turned them into a nice routine? What can you do with a paper napkin or bottle of beer (at a bar/pub environment)? Heck, the typical home kitchen has everything you need to put on a whole close-up show! That is if you have properly prepared.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 00:16, jquackc wrote:
Is it magic that appears impromptu?

Impromptu is in the eye of the beholder. That works for me.

Quote:
Is it magic that requires no props?

Well, you need to use something, so no.

Quote:
Is it magic that can be done at a moments notice with borrowed objects?
Yes. However, to me it doesn't matter if its truly impromptu or apparently impromptu.

Quote:
Is it magic that doesn't use any gaffs or set-up?

Not in my opinion.

Quote:
I think it's important to determine the definition of impromptu especially when it comes to selling magic tricks and effects. I've seen many effects that claimed to be impromptu but weren't in the least.

True. Dealers really should be more specific and say whether it's true or apparent impromptu.

You can visit my IMP site for more of my thoughts on Impromptu magic.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Quick answer... sleight of hand skill using normal, preferrably borrowed, objects.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Defining Impromptu (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL