The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Performing for a magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Recently I met up with a magician for the first time to talk magic...i did a few tricks and found myself nervous because I thought he knew every move that I was doing, I mean I wasn't myself at all, I was nervous, figidty did the sloppiest "DL" with cards you can imagine and I skipped a lot of the patter...why? I don't know...any advice on how to calm down or stay focused....I guess performing in front of a magician was overwhelming.
J Rodriguez
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I always look at it in this manner, when performing in front of another magician, presuming he knows how it is done, takes a lot of pressure off. After all, you don't have to worry about hiding your moves, he already knows they are there. I just focus on the performance, which is what you should do when performing at any time for anyone. If you were rough in a spot or two, the magician will understand and may be able to give you a hint to improve it.
I've performed in front of a few hyper critical hacks who claim to be so superior, but prove to be pretty mediocre in their abilities. Most magicians I've performed for are probably overly complimentary, overly encouraging, and hesitant to offer correction or advise unless asked to do so.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Typically if you perform for other magicians - I find that they are clueless. When I was in my 20's and first started with magic club I thought they were all magicians with access to great knowledge - it did not take long to learn that magic club was a reason for many to get out of the house.

The thing I worrie about is that once a "magician" watches your performance - it is not uncommon for them to "borrow anything that is in there grip.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Quote:
The thing I worrie about is that once a "magician" watches your performance - it is not uncommon for them to "borrow anything that is in there grip.

I know what you mean, I performed once at a TGI Friday's and said a few "punchlines" and routined my close up tricks a certain way that when I went the local park with my family I saw a guy using the same punchlines and close up routine....the worst thing is that it wasn't even in his "character", the punchlines and jokes just didn't suit him, I wanted to get in there and put him on the spot but something just told me to relax, he's just hurting himself.... Anyway as far as performing for magicians I find that "steals" are golden, they never catch'em... I guess my "jitters" are just mind over matter....thanks for the kind words fellas, I appreciate it.

Junior
J Rodriguez
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Most magicians at clubs etc are really good to perform for-very supportive with compliments & advice but yes we all get that feeling of they know all we are showing them!!

don't worry too much
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I came to a conclusion that its all in my head, I just view a fellow magician as a spectator, someone who has never seen magic before, I found if I keep that in mind then it relaxes me and helps me stay in character and allows me to give the "full performace".
J Rodriguez
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Just do your tricks like you would for anyone. If they know how it works or figure it out who cares, they had to learn how sometime too.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Junior, I have to say that even today I get nervous when performing in front of other “magicians” no matter what their skill level. I am not sure why that is but it is. I normally calm down after my first effect. But it is just getting through that first effect. Like you I know it is just a mental hurdle that I should be able to get past. The funny thing is that I never get nervous when performing in front of any group of laymen. Strange huh?
...the magic that creates Memories!
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Don't worry, another magician won't pay you!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I was looking for a similar topic, but this one will do... my question is this.

What about going to a venue where you KNOW a hired magician will be there? Do you bring something with you to show THEM? My friends are encouraging me to, but the way I see it is - he's hired to be there and I am not.

What would be my motivation? Only to say "look at me - I'm a magician to?"

I think in that situation, I'd be more comfortable playing the role of a spectator. I suppose only if the magician invited you to do a piece, but after his set, I think it'd be poor form to say "now let me show YOU something"

Right?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
David,

You are correct. It is rude to perform magic in another magican's "house." Whenever I visit a venue with another magican performing and my friends suggest that I do some magic, I tell them just that - it's rude and against the magician's code. They understand and even respect you more because magicians have a code!

If there is someone who is unpaid performing magic, then that can be different. But make sure it doesn't turn into a showdown - neither of you will look good.

If the performing magician is someone I know, then I may suggest a time to get together later that week or the next week to practice. But even when I know a paid performer well, I never perform magic.

Hudson
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Yeah, I don't take something to someone else's show. I have had a friend or two say I should try to perform something for another performer and I always told them, "It's not my show, it's theirs."

I will, at most, introduce myself and say that I am also a performer. If they happen to request to see something, I always have stuff I can do any time, but it's never happened that I can remember.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:
I was looking for a similar topic, but this one will do... my question is this.

What about going to a venue where you KNOW a hired magician will be there? Do you bring something with you to show THEM? My friends are encouraging me to, but the way I see it is - he's hired to be there and I am not.

What would be my motivation? Only to say "look at me - I'm a magician to?"

I think in that situation, I'd be more comfortable playing the role of a spectator. I suppose only if the magician invited you to do a piece, but after his set, I think it'd be poor form to say "now let me show YOU something"

Right?

No, you never show any magic at someone else's gig. At magic conventions, you can gather in the halls, and such, showing magic to each other, but not if there is a main attraction that is working the convention.

When I go to magic conventions, I don't take anything, and id asked, I just say I don't have anything on me, which is true.

Once I went to Chicago to a famous magic bar, I told the waiter I was a magician and wanted my date to see some magic. They never came to my table. On another trip, I kept my comment to myself, and the guy visited our table.

When I visited the Magic Castle, a notable name in magic, requested I show some magic to other guest at a table in the bar section. How he knew I was a magic is still a mystery to me. I guess because my pockets were full of Magic Castle decks of cards. Anyway, I did a few tricks I could remember and that was it. Nothing in a performing area where the paid magicians were performing.

Even in a late night suite, Senator Crandell, Al Sharpe, Peter Biro, and other were doing magic, but I did not think I could out perform these greats.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Performing for a magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL