The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Multiplying a silk. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
I am looking for some information on how to do a certain silk effect, but really do not know where to look. It's not really a whole effect by itself, but looks good within a routine. Basically it looks like this. Magician shows both sides of a silk (18" or so). He grabs opposite corners of the silk and twirls the silk so it becomes like a rope. Then he drops one end, grabs the top with both hands and pulls apart revealing that there are now 2 silks of the same color. If anyone could help me out or point me toward the right resource I would appreciate it. I have various books/DVDs on silk magic, but none seem to cover this effect. Thanks a lot.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tank,

Look under "snap silk". This is a very old technique you will master in moments. While I don't think of it as much of an effect in itself, it is a beautiful intro into a silk routine.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I'm doing silk lectures up your way early this summer. If our paths cross, please introduce yourself.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
General Grant has a version in his silk notes “Smooth as Silk”. The silk is shown flat, both sides before rolled rope like. It is then split into two silks of the same size and color in very slow motion. It is called "Splitting the Silk" (pg. 45).

Jean Merlin’s lecture notes “On Silks – 1” has a couple of different methods for doubling a silk or producing a one from another.

With Bob’s above you now have three references to look at.

Of the three, Grant’s is the easiest and most elegant looking. In his hands it is pure artistry!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 10:44, Harry Murphy wrote:
General Grant has a version in his silk notes “Smooth as Silk”. The silk is shown flat, both sides before rolled rope like. It is then split into two silks of the same size and color in very slow motion. It is called "Splitting the Silk" (pg. 45).

Jean Merlin’s lecture notes “On Silks – 1” has a couple of different methods for doubling a silk or producing a one from another.

Of the three, Grant’s is the easiest and most elegant looking. In his hands it is pure artistry!

Y'all don't need me here! This advice from these two gents is PERFECT!

Day 4
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Harry,
The one from Grant's notes sounds exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much for those sources.

Bob,
Thank you for your input as well. Do you know when/where you will be near here this summer? I would love to attend one of your lectures. Thanks.

Donnie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is explained in Geoffery Buckingham's DVD for HTTP://www.LLPUb.com he uses large 24" or 36" silks but can be used for smaller silks. It is part of his manipulation act. This is a different method then the Gen Grant item mentioned about and uses a body load. The effect as seen by the audience is the same.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 10:44, Harry Murphy wrote:

Harry,

Where can you find General Grant's, "Smooth As Silk"? Is this lecture notes?

Bob, is "Snap Silks" similar or the same as "Splitting The Silks"? If not, can you give a source?
Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Grants “splitting silks” is in his booklet I mentioned above. The booklet has been sold at his lecture. It is available directly from Grant.

Snap Silks is not the same effect as splitting the silks. It may be learned from the Rice booklet “Capers with Colors” or from a DVD put out by Duane Laflin. Duane had revisited the trick and actually made a improvement to it that makes the set-up a total breeze.

You can email General Grant at:
GGmagic@aol.com

Get the Rice booklet at:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20C......lors.htm

and get the Laflin DVD at:
http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Vi......prID=420
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Now that's what I call service! Thanks Harry!

Regan
Mister Mystery
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Of the ones that I have used Grant's is the easyest, I also like the ones using B*** Loads or S***** loads that are shown in Rice's books.

The pretties is where you can do a Flower to silk and then run you hands thru the silk and then twirl the supposed one silk and then split them done via a B*** load. Handling for the setup is very logical as you are stroking the silk from bottom to top. This method does have some color restrictions based on your outfit.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Getting back to snap silks for a moment, are they in Tarbell or Rice's Encyclopedia?

Harry, I don't have that particular booklet but would be willing trade for my copy naugthy silks.

Thanks
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Fccfp, I already have a couple of copies of “Naughty Silks”. I actually do many of the knots and bits found in that little booklet.

The splitting the silks bit is not in Tarbell. Nor, interestingly, do I remember it in the Rice Encyclopedia.

However “Capers with Colors” is only $8.00 from Silk King Studios.
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20C......lors.htm

And Duane’s DVD is only $20.00.
http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Vi......prID=420
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thank's Harry,
I was refering to "Snap-Silks" Genl Grnt's "Splitting silks"
I did see it at Duane's lecture when he came thru 2 years ago.
If I play around with it enough I can probably figure it out. What's great about is, if like most of us you already have a lot of silks, there is nothing to buy Smile

Just looked on SKS. Could "Rice's Diminishing Silk Production" be a version of"Snap-Silks"?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is the same.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
As I recall, splitting one silk into two silks is in Keith Clark’s Silks Supreme.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Keith Clark Famous Nite Club Act.htm

Thom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Multiplying a silk. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL