The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ontario IncomeTax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguy82
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicguy82
I am wondering if expenses for props and audio equipement can be put under "supplies" or other expense column for an unincoporated business... or if props need to be depreciated overtime --- I'm not talking stage illusions, just small children magic stuff.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
For smaller equipment and props, say under $300 each, I have always classified them under show supplies. I think that is a reasonable approach that would be difficult to challenge.
magicguy82
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicguy82
Ya I was thinking that too. just was not sure about my 600$ wireless mic and my 1500$ speakers and stands. hmmm
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
If they look at it...and that is a BIG IF, I think that might be a little agressive.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I think you can claim $300-$500 of it and carry the rest over for the next year for each peice of electronic equipment. Ask you local tax guy to be sure. That's how I did it for my equipment. (It was a while ago so I don't remember the exact data and as we know tax laws change every year).

Day 5
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Electronics would have their own depreciation category also.

Plus..do you need the deduction this year, or would you prefer to spread it?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ontario IncomeTax (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL