The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Who has the best Routine with the Invisible Deck! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
A really good routine can be found on the Desert Brainstorm Series. It was Christopher Caldwell's but at the moment I don't recall the name or which tape it was on.
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
On 2003-03-11 15:24, Cup and Ball wrote:
I like the Brainwave too, but what do you do/say when a red backed deck comes out of a blue card case. I'm sure there is something "cute" to say, but I still think it draws too much attention. Thoughts?
Smile Smile

This is the kind of thing I worried about too. Then I opened my eyes. Unless you show the side of the box with the design on it, no one, NO ONE, will ever question it. The box is long gone before they are even aware of the different colored back thing. Trust me. I feel silly now for even having worried about such a minute discrepency.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Christopher Caldwell's routine is based on Automanticard from Waters' Mind, Myth and Magick. They're both excellent.

As for Howard's idea of using a peek case such as the SUC: I personally wouldn't do it, as psychologically it seems too obvious that you can somehow see the writing while it's in the case (otherwise, why would you have somebody write down this information?). Besides, one of the ID's greatest strengths is that it's used to predict a card that is only thought of. Just my opinion.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Here's something I saw a pool player do on TV during a trick shot tournament. He brought out 2 decks of cards from his pocket. He covered the pool table with 1 of the decks and laid the cards face up. He then had a spectator hit a cue ball around the table. And whatever card was closest to the cue ball after it stopped rolling would be the freely selected card that was turned upside down in the 2nd deck.
scottlurowist
View Profile
New user
Wappingers Falls, NY
52 Posts

Profile of scottlurowist
Have you seen Jay Sankey's handling on his Secret File's 2 DVD ?

It's the subtle extra thing that he does that subconsciously makes the effect all the more powerful.

I've used Jay's handling... and it really does take it to another level.

I think Jay's handling is well thought out, and gives motivation for switching out decks.
He also says on the DVD that he wanted to fool the people who think "well, he just flipped a card over real quick."

Scott Lurowist

Now that I think of it... Jay's handling makes the ID more like the BW deck. So you get the easier handling of the ID with more of the extra kickiness of the BW deck.

Scott Lurowist
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
My vote goes to Christopher Caldwell on Desert Brainstorm as well.
It has all the makings for a fantastic effect: audience participation (a spectator predicts the card turned over in the deck), great misdirection, and it is very visual (believe it or not!)
Any effect that involves the spectators and makes them perform all the magic is a winner in my eyes!
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
Why not create your own routinue utilizing your style,your persona, your imagination. It's such a great trick ther are infinite ways it could be presented. My own at dinner parties is a metalism/comedy routine that's about ten minutes, Guests love it.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Actually, the handling for the BW deck is much easier than the ID. No odd/even stuff to remember. It's a piece of cake.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I've posted this idea before, but I would like to repeat it. One of the best effects with an ID was done by my daughter. My daughter (5 at the time, who had seen me do the ID countless times) was mimmicking me by having my sister-in-law "pretend" to take a card from a "pretend" deck and turn it over. She then made the pretend deck "disappear" and told her it was in my pocket. Fortunately, I was able to see what was going but acted as if I was not paying attention. My daughter got my attention and told me to show my sister-in-law the cards in my pocket which I did and the look on her face when one card was turned over was priceless.

All the heat was off the deck and on my daughter. My sister in law still talks about it. Smile
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of joogy
I'm a bit confused here-nothing new there!!
I have the Invisible Deck but I was amazed to read some reviews in here where people have said that they actually spread the deck on the table face up!
Isn't this impossible? I find that you can only spread the cards out from hand to hand.
Am I doing something wrong here then?
Joogy
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Hey Joogy,
Far from impossible. Keep playing with it. You'll be able to do fans and ribbon spreads with very little practice!
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2003-03-11 15:24, Cup and Ball wrote:
...what do you do/say when a red backed deck comes out of a blue card case.

With two card cases, some glue, and a little imagination, you can have a two-toned case that matches whatever "deck" you pull out of it. (But don't let them see the other side.)
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
In response to DoctorAmazo's comment, allow me to take a quote from Whit Haydn's "Chicago Suprise" booklet concerning his presentation of the BW deck:

"Some magicians worry about the discrepancy of pulling a red-backed deck out of a blue box, or vice-versa. This will happen about half the time. There even used to be a specially printed card box, blue on one side and red on the other that magicians could use with the deck - pulling the box out of the pocket with the correct side showing.
This takes away from the effect produced when the deck is in full view as the chosen card is named. Not only that, but it is a waste of time and energy, since never once in thirty years have I had a comment from a lay spectator about the color of the card box."

He goes on to explain how this discrepency can turn out to be an advantage.
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
Maybe the title of this thread should have been "Who has the best THREE routines with the ID?!" My vote goes to Cody Fisher, hands down. I have had the pleasure of watching Cody perform all three of his innovative ID routines from his "Secrets Of Invisibility" booklet and have performed "Invisibility" (stand-up) myself. This routine elevates the ID to new heights, as its plot and impact are so much more than the standard ID routine. Engaging, entertaining, and workable stand-up card effects are few and far between; so, I am always thrilled with such a find. But, hey, don't take my word for it:

"Your presentation & handling for the Invisible Deck is the most clever and commercial I have ever seen." --Johnny Thompson

"Your version of the Invisible Deck is absolutely PHENOMENAL!" --Marc DeSouza

Whether your ID has been gathering dust in your magic chest drawer, or you perform the ID regularly, enjoy the powerful reactions it elicits, and are looking for a fresh approach - this stuff is worthy of your time and modest investment.

Check it out for yourself at:

http://codyfisher.com/home.htm

Best Wishes,
Keith Mitchell
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
For a different review of Cody's book check out:

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index.p......;rid=266

It received half a star, with many revealing comments.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Who has the best Routine with the Invisible Deck! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL