The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Check this out! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
When you're feeling down, think about these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 17:26, mandrake01 wrote:
When you're feeling down, think about these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU

What???? I thought the Village People broke up. LOL

Best,

Tim

Day 15
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh! You want the Village People version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1bXIXRgwc

Bunch of "cosplayers" at a convention for Anime in Boston.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh my. Same group, (slightly different line up) 2008 Boston Animae Convention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQUTowKp20&feature=related
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What the heck IS that?!?!?!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
As if you didn't know, amosmc. I saw you at the Yatta fan site!

I totally see the Village People influence. Great find.

BTW It's hard to believe, just a few years ago, Josh #2 was a thin, dancing, Asian man.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
From wikipedia:

"Yatta!" is a 2001 parody song by a fictional Japanese band called はっぱ隊 (Happa-tai; literally "Leaf Squad" in Japanese, though they call themselves "Green Leaves" in English). The song title, "Yatta", is a Japanese exclamation meaning "it's done!", "I did it!", "ready!" or "all right!" (It is also notably the catchphrase of Hiro Nakamura on the American TV series Heroes.) The song was first performed as a sketch on the Japanese sketch comedy show "笑う犬の冒険" (Warau Inu no Bōken; Adventures of a Laughing Dog), known as "Silly Go Lucky" in the United States, where Happa-tai, a sendup of a stereotypical boy band, is portrayed by some of Japan's most well-known comedians. It became extremely popular on the Internet through the distribution of its music video, as well as a Flash animation called Irrational Exuberance which used the song. Ohio is inspired by Drew Carey.

The song itself is a disco-influenced number, showing the influence of songs such as YMCA by The Village People.[citation needed] The video features its members singing and dancing exuberantly while wearing only underwear with a large green leaf on the front. The six band members' synchronized dancing and personalized poses for the camera parody the boy band craze.

The sketch is a strongly ironic commentary on attempts by the Japanese government and others to maintain optimism in the face of Japan's severe economic troubles, depicting men impoverished to the degree of having no clothing but the figurative fig leaf (though in this case the leaves are attached to the men's briefs) yet maintaining an irrational, irrepressible belief in their own potential for success. The sketch satirizes many of the stereotypes of Japanese pop culture, including such tropes as a romantic interlude during the song's bridge that takes place on a city street filled with floating sakura blossoms.

On 2001-04-18, the "Yatta!" single was released under the Pony Canyon label in Japan. It surprisingly hit #6 in the charts, and went triple-platinum in Japan within a number of weeks.[citation needed] While the song was intended to be humorous, some viewers outside Japan assumed it to be earnest, perhaps due to the obvious work that went into the special effects in the video. The incomprehensibility of such an elaborate video enhanced its popularity among Western audiences who could not understand the Japanese lyrics.

The song and video have since been used as a web culture in-joke on many different websites. The actors who performed as Happa-tai were brought to perform "YATTA!" in the United States on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Host Jimmy Kimmel compared himself to Ed Sullivan introducing the Beatles in their first American performance.

(Day XXX)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Check this out! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL