The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions With Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Colombia
108 Posts

Profile of hkmagic
I'm working these illusions with kids: Balloon Box, The Farmer and Witch, Hot Air Suspension, Giant Square Circle, and a Doll House.

What other illusions can I work with kids?
"May the Magic be with you"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I used to perform a little illusion for the kids.

The effect: a (teeter-totter) is seen on stage. It is basically a sawhorse with a small diameter PVC pipe as the cross beam and a long board resting across it. A child is sat on one end and the magician pulls down the other and sits upon it his/her self. A brief and comical attempt at seesawing is made. However because the magician is so heavy the child never comes back down on her side. The magician slowly gets off and holds the board so that it is parallel to the floor. The magician slowly lets go his/her end and the board remains parallel to the floor. The child is suspended.

The magician pulls the sawhorse back and the board is seen floating with the child sitting at one end. The magician takes a hoop and runs it along the board starting at the empty end and moving down, over the child, and off the board.

Finally, the magician pulls the sawhorse back and the child’s end is lowered to the floor where the child gets off and takes a bow.

That’s it! I built this for a series of elementary school shows in the late 80’s. It played well.

Yes, you know that it is the old Super-X dressed in a different robe. That is all. The fulcrum of the seesaw has a simple lock that keeps the board in place at the horizontal. The whole thing was more presentation than anything. Oh, my hoop? I had an aluminum hoop made like a linking ring key. I cut a hula-hoop and slid the colorful plastic over the aluminum ring. The aluminum ring made the hula-hoop keep its shape.

By the way, I often gave the child helium filled balloon to provide motivation for the “float”.

It was a very low-Tec illusion and very simple illusion. I am almost embarrassed to mention it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Harry, I have to say, that is a wonderful, great, well thought out idea. I would never have thought of that from a simple super-x. All I can say is wow, wow, wow. Great thinking man!
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
I have done a similar thing with a yogano stool, Basically find a little girl who wishes to be a princess,Have stool decorated very sparkly & Pink, stand girl on stool then with some dress up, add sparkly long skirt fastened with velcro extra long with feather boa train, sparkly waistcoat, not forgetting Tiara and long staff fairy wand,add patter about floating to fairy land etc and away you go! Excellent photo opportunity.
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
With kids, just remember that hooting and hollering is just as fun as being amazed.

Sucker effects are big with kids, like the die box, Rabbit gag, etc. If you keep the dynamic playful and entertaining, they seem to provide the entertainment value all by themselves.

Just make sure you are communicating on their level, don't ever try to make them see magic as you do unless you can relate it to where they are.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Harry,
I think that was very creative.

Isn't that what it's all about?
Daniel Faith
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Isn't that "See-Saw Suspension" from Chris Carey's "Do the Stuff That's You?"

0pus
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The "See-Saw Suspension" is in Chris Cary's "Do the Stuff That's You" on page 30. It is in the first book by Chris Carey. It has an excellent write up on it with a drawing so one could build it from that drawing. It is a modifed Super-X type of suspension. Cool!
Dennis Michael
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Harry, you should still be performing that! What a wonderful presentation! And I didn't even need to see it to know! Salute!
Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's a few I have beside the Balloon Box.

• Flying Carpet
  • Chair Suspension
  • Super-X
  • Visable Sawing-In-Half
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions With Children (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL