The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which Books To Read on the 'Subject' of Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Quote:
someone above suggested "strong magic" by Ortiz. I didn't read all of Ortiz's works but I have seen him perform - I find it a bit paradoxial that he can write on subject like that.
maybe I am on the minority - I think he is a very weak performer (great technitian though)

That’s interesting to hear, if you read his book strong magic it would all make more sense. Performers have a persona that they perform as like con man(Whit Haydn), crazy funny magician (Amazing Johnathan), serious, gentlemen magician (Rene Lavand) and too many to list here. The point is that each magician had his “stick” and all of his effect have to go with that persona. Ortiz does just that. That’s the persona that he uses, it may not be for everyone but it works for him.

Here’s a short description about the book...

"As a successful professional magician for almost twenty years, Darwin Ortiz has appeared before thousands of audiences of all kinds. During that time he has studied what it takes to really move an audience. In Strong Magic he presents the results of those years of study and experience."

I second the recommendation of "Strong Magic"
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
Quote:
On 2003-03-18 13:04, scottlurowist wrote:
I am currently enjoying "Magic In Theory" from Hermetic Press. This book is out of print, but you can find used copies online.

It's about the psychology of magic, written by a psychologist. It's not as in depth in terms of psychology as I had hoped, but I think it does at least provoke thought. An experienced magician might think it a bit basic. But I enjoy it.

Scott

I personally wouldn't recommend this book. Any other book out there will teach you the same concepts in a MUCH more interesting read. It was an extremely dry and boring read from start to finish (written in a formal-essay style), I found. While you can learn some great (yet, like Scott said, basic) things from it, its just as much money to buy any other book

Strong Magic is excellent. Simply put. However, it is my opinion that 'Showmanship for Magicians' by Fitzkee is the best magic book out there on terms of presentation.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I’ve had Docc Hilford’s video ”How to Turn Ordinary Tricks into Mind-Shaking Miracles” recommended to me. Anyone seen it? It can be bought here:

http://floraco.safeshopper.com/3/26.htm?229

And this site has some recommendations that are not on this thread:

http://members.aol.com/scottcram/presentation.html
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I am proof reading my translation of OUR MAGIC for the third time. I get always overwhelmed by Maskelyne's writing. He is the Nostradamus in Magic. He knew everything about today's magic.

A must read for good magicians. Not a must read for bad magicians as bad magicians will be discouraged by this book. You will know you are which by reading this book.

Hideo Kato
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Whooooo, a lot of awesome books already mentioned!
I couldn't agree more.
Still some very interesting and thought provoking themes and concepts are hidden in more practical works.
-Chicago Surprise by Whit Haydn has some fascinating thoughts. As well as the books on Fast & Loose and 3-card monte.
-A lot of good essays are scattered over Mike Close's Workers series .
-The introductory chapters of John Carney's Carneycopia.
-Brainfood by David Parr.
-In Concert by Roger Klause.

And I'm certainly looking forward to the soon to be released (hopefully) book by Tom Stone. I bought some of his pdf files and they are excellent!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
My must reads are:

Magic & Meaning by Eugene Burger and Robert Neale (Explores the roots and symbolic nature of conjuring from an almost anthropological standpoint, very heavy stuff)

Our Magic by Maskelyne & DeVant (A masterwork that should be in every serious library in my opinion)

Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson (Read it and notice the thought process involved with creating each effect. Once you begin to understand how the audience's attention is directed and subtley influenced you'll have pure gold)

Magic of Slydini by Lewis Ganson (Again, read it for the thought process involved)

Tarbell Course (There's a lot of theory spread throughout the myriad of effects)

At least some introductory text books on psychology and anthropology. (Knowing how people perceive and interact with reality is one of the surest ways to discover the secrets of how to break that reality for them)

I almost forgot Magic With Faucett Ross by Ganson and Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz.
Smile
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I was going through my magic library and was re-reading on called "The Stein and Day Handbook of Magic" by Marvin Kaye.

Tricks are ok, but there are some great chapters on magic performance and theory.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
D'OH!

That was the first book on magic that I bought that wasn't just a collection of effects and canned scripts. It really changed my approach to the art during my teenage years.

You're right Neale, there's some great theory in there that provides a strong foundation for futher growth.

Same goes for Henry Hay's "Amatuer Magician's Handbook." It really is the poor man's Tarbell as many are fond of saying.

Thanks for reminding me of those two volumes.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Lots of good suggestions here. This thread needs reviving. I'll add that all of Ron Bauer's series contain gems on theory.
Sallymagi
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Sallymagi
Are there any of these books on audio?
Faster
View Profile
New user
Texas
57 Posts

Profile of Faster
Well, if the thread needs reviving, I'll second DrWilson and name:

1. The Dariel Fitzkee trilogy, especially vols 1 and 3, "Showmanship for Magicians" and "Magic by Misdirection."

2. Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship."

and I'll add to the overall list:

3. Tommy Wonder "The Books of Wonder" volume 2 specifically for the subject of this thread (though volume 1 is excellent for a series of wonderful effects you might like to perform).

Sally,

I can't say I've ever seen any magic book at all in audio format. At least for those I've named, I wouldn't be interested in audio format. The main reason is that this is heavy and slow reading which requires changing your preconceptions of how you've always done things, putting aside the "Everybody knows that..." conventional wisdom you've picked up over the years.

Sometimes you have to reread a sentence or a paragraph 2 or 3 times to finally grasp the subtle, underlying meaning of it. Portions of these books also require some minor artwork to demonstrate a point. Both of these aspects are poorly achieved, if at all, in audio format.

But, you never know. Someone may have recorded it and convinced Dover or Hermetic Press to publish the audio version. Best of luck to you in your search.

Richard
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
May I add "Designing Miracles" to the list?
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I read Magic and Showmanship as a kid and it had quite an impact on me.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which Books To Read on the 'Subject' of Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL