The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini - An Original Musical (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
You heard it here first - check this out, from Playbill.com:

Three-time Academy Award nominee Danny Elfman (music) and two-time Tony nominee David Yazbek (lyrics) will pen the score for the new musical Houdini, which is aiming for a Broadway bow in spring 2010.

Scott Sanders and David Rockwell will produce the musical, which features a book by best-selling author, journalist and editor Kurt Andersen. Three-time Tony Award winner Jack O'Brien is attached to direct; Rockwell will also design the sets.

Houdini, based on the life of the late magician and escape artist Harry Houdini, "ultimately deals with the human yearning for astonishment and miracles — both manmade and supernatural —and the quest to defy death," according to press notes.

In a statement producer Sanders said, "When David Rockwell asked me to join him as a co-lead producer, I didn't hesitate for a moment. Houdini is an amazing, iconic figure who continues to captivate our imagination more than 80 years after his death. His colorful world defines the theatrical and, combined with this remarkable creative team, will make for a fascinating and entertaining musical."

Producer-designer Rockwell added, "The musical theatre has always been a passion of mine, and I can't imagine a more thrilling opportunity than the creation of a new musical, especially with this team."

Theatre, casting and a complete design team for Houdini: An Original Musical will be announced at a later date.

Danny Elfman, who was a rock musician with his band Oingo Boingo, has been nominated for three Academy Awards for his scores to "Good Will Hunting," "Men in Black" and "Big Fish." He has also scored "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, "Beetlejuice," "Batman," "Edward Scissorhands," "Batman Returns," "The Nightmare Before Christmas," "Mars Attacks!," "Sleepy Hollow," "Planet of the Apes," "The Corpse Bride" and "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory," among others. Elfman has composed the theme songs for such TV shows as "The Simpsons," "Tales from the Crypt" and "Desperate Housewives," and his full-length orchestral commission, "Serenada Schizophrana," premiered at Carnegie Hall and was recorded for Sony Classics."

A recording artist, vocalist and pianist, David Yazbek was Tony Award-nominated for the musicals The Full Monty and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. His first album, "The Laughing Man," won the N.A.I.R.D. Award for Best Pop Album of the Year. He has also served as a writer for "Late Night with David Letterman." Yazbek's fifth CD of original rock songs, entitled "Evil Monkey Man," was recently released on the Ghostlight Records label.

Jack O'Brien won Tony Awards for his direction of The Coast of Utopia, Hairspray and Henry IV. He was also Tony-nominated for his work on Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Invention of Love, The Full Monty, Two Shakespearean Actors and Porgy and Bess. O'Brien, who has served as artistic director of San Diego's Old Globe for the last 26 years, will pass the torch to Jerry Patch and Darko Tresnjak this year.

--Jack Smile
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Bess, You is my woman now.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 17:59, Eddie Garland wrote:
Bess, You is my woman now.

HAHAHAHA!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
Besides Wolverine, Jackman has a couple of films in development. But what he’s really in New York for, as I reported last November, is rehearsal of his Harry Houdini musical set for 2010. Hugh is hard at work learning Houdini’s magic tricks, I am told, many that will be reproduced faithfully eight times a week on stage.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
YES ...

We first reported on this on November 26th of last year as well as posted an updated story from Fox News this morning:

Here's a link for more info:
http://linkingpage.com/?s=JACKMAN&x=0&y=0
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Jackman as houdini???

But what about Darren Romeo- the Voice of Magic????? he was supposed to be the next Siegfried !! Gay Blackstone gave him some sort of award! He was supposed to be the next legend. No one had ever sang and performed magic before ever!

What a shame!

/sarcasm
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Romeo doesn't have the commercial star power of Hugh Jackman. Plus jackman is a Broadway vet.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Sorry y'all,

I shouldn't post before I take my medicine and my coffee. I love Darren.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini - An Original Musical (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL