The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Has jay Sankey finally lost the plot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi all,
Am I correct in assuming that Jay Sankey has, as expressed by a few of our customers, "Lost the Plot". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLUzzXZRbeI

He has taken action against dealers throughout the world with YouTube. That means that every dealer who used YouTube as a platform to host Sankey Magic trailers of new and existing DVD's received several copyright infringement notices and the advertising trailers were pulled and warnings of site closures issued to dealers.

These trailers are the ones supplied by Sankey Magic Inc to dealers in order to promote the products not just something hashed together by us. They are the official advertorial trailers.

Just how are we supposed to promote his products to the target audience without a hosting platform where we can show the trailers. The huge bandwidth involved in hosting precludes us from hosting on our own site with the many 1000's of daily views that we have for video trailers.

At World Magic Shop, we host around 300 clips of DVD's for sale on You Tube as do dealers all over the world.

As you all know, when a new product is released, the first question is usually where can I see a clip of this. The answer is usually found on a dealers YouTube site. No more for Sankey products I'm afraid.

I guess that we will just have to stop stocking Sankey branded products as we have no way of promoting them to you the end users.

Your thoughts on this appreciated.

Best Regards
Jaz
Jaz
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Of course, you could always provide a link to the trailer on Sankey's website. Then again, I realise that customers may then opt to do their shopping there...
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
What's the point of taking up arms against this?!?? How is this even remotely copyright infringement!!??! Are they releasing secrets, explaining the inner workings of Sankey's work for free? Obviously not...

Nearly all major companies, technology, games, home wares, etc... would be happy to have ANYBODY upload their unique commercials/previews/promos for their products = free publicity, in which they don't have to lift a finger :S
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
jcrai
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jcrai
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 08:31, Chappo wrote:
What's the point of taking up arms against this?!?? How is this even remotely copyright infringement!!??! Are they releasing secrets, explaining the inner workings of Sankey's work for free? Obviously not...

Nearly all major companies, technology, games, home wares, etc... would be happy to have ANYBODY upload their unique commercials/previews/promos for their products = free publicity, in which they don't have to lift a finger :S

Well, technically it is copyright infringement. Sankey owns the exclusive right to publicly display his original work of authorship (the trailer). Those that display his work without his permission are engaged in copyright infringement. It has nothing to do with whether the clips reveal any secrets, etc. However, you are absolutely correct in one sense: who in their right mind would object to free advertising/publicity? That is absolutely ridiculous. It makes no business sense whatsoever and is bound to leave a very sour taste in many people's (customer's and dealer's) mouths.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Wow -- Jay was on iTricks talking about the edgy, provocative stuff he was going to be releasing on video... and this is it?
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
I don't have a degree in business or anything but something here doesn't make sense.

Aren't people more likely to want to see the product that is being released by sankey? Don't they want to see a demo? Doesn't the demo enable more sales and make sankey more of a product?
Won't this actually hurt his business?

Seems rather stupid to me.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
It certainly makes no sense to me as the Trailers are provided to Dealers for the purpose of promoting and selling the Sankey products.

It is not copyright infringement but fair use of the trailers released to us by Sankey Magic Inc via Murphy's for advertising purposes.
Best regards
jaz
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
If Sankey owns the rights to a commercial advertisement can't he determine who can use it and how it can be used?
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Can't say I am a huge fan of Sankey in any way, shape or form but there is a fairly obvious question around others posting his effects demos on You Tube.

If I go on You Tube and key in Sankey I'll see a number of effects demo'd on there including demos put up by dealers. One assumes that I may then head off to these dealers to do my business, potentially at the cost of margin to Sankey Magic ?

Sankey's business view may be that, in the first instance he makes his money from selling effects direct himself, but accepts that he can mop up ancilliary business through other dealers at a lower profit to himself on that part of his business. Dealers hitting You Tube with his own demos however, reverses this situation and could make it more likely that folk go to dealers first before Sankey Magic.

Having said all that it does appear that once again, as per the Penguin piece,Jay doesn't know how to properly handle the relationships he has presumably forged with people selling his products. Its very unappetising to see this kind of public laundry washing between business partners.
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian if this was the case of Sankey being hit with lower margins, well the solution is simple. Do not wholesale your products to dealers. Since he is then their is no logical reason why a dealer shouldn’t have a trailer on youtube linking directly to their store and not someone else’s. We have over 300 trailers on youtube. The reason being the high bandwidth we can save and the faster the trailer can be watched.

Again Sankey is not using his Brain to think of the Business side of what he is doing. If he thinks that dealers are desperate to stock his items then I think he should see a psychiatrist. Ill be happy to take the whole display of the shelf and have someone else’s products on display. Someone that supports are efforts.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I like the banana trick...probably the best one he's come out with in a long time (and it doesn't use the Erdnase color change!)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's what Jay has to say about the YouTube video clips:

From Jay:
"There's been some buzz about my recent decision to ask the folks atYoutube to remove some videos and I just wanted to be clear that this was NOT in response to any company or individual doing a darn thing "wrong."

Instead, I was receiving so many emails for fans complaining about notbeing able to "find" some of my new comedy videos on Youtube because therewere over 500 videos (!!!) tagged with "jay sankey," "sankey magic,""short bald Canadian dice magician," etc.

In addition, many of the product preview clips were either out-of-date or the resolution quality was so low that it hurt me to know they were even on Youtube. So my plan is to first "clean it up a bit" and then continue postingoutrageous comedy videos, killer new magic clips and lots more.

I have also been in touch with the copyright dept at Youtube and explained to them in great detail that "nobody did anything wrong, unethical or suspect" by posting all those videos. Thanks as always guys for the gracious interest and much appreciated support.

Hope you are all enjoying the weather and are having a blast with
your card tricks outdoors. Lord knows pretty soon the days will get even
warmer and we'll all have to stick to air-conditioned spaces (or attempt
double lifts with heat-swollen decks as big as baseballs!)

Long live real magic,
Jay
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 14:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

From Jay:
"There's been some buzz about my recent decision to ask the folks atYoutube to remove some videos and I just wanted to be clear that this was NOT in response to any company or individual doing a darn thing "wrong."

Instead, I was receiving so many emails for fans complaining about notbeing able to "find" some of my new comedy videos on Youtube because therewere over 500 videos (!!!) tagged with "jay sankey," "sankey magic,""short bald Canadian dice magician," etc.

In addition, many of the product preview clips were either out-of-date or the resolution quality was so low that it hurt me to know they were even on Youtube. So my plan is to first "clean it up a bit" and then continue postingoutrageous comedy videos, killer new magic clips and lots more.

I have also been in touch with the copyright dept at Youtube and explained to them in great detail that "nobody did anything wrong, unethical or suspect" by posting all those videos. Thanks as always guys for the gracious interest and much appreciated support.

Long live real magic,
Jay

Ah , so this is all designed to make those outrageous comic videos easier to find is it....my life is complete !!!!
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Still seems like a bit of a long shot. :S

I don't see Jackass coming online and ordering the millions of 12 year old wannabes off Youtube. An exaggeration, however redundant, I know but meh Smile
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
With some people Its all about money to others it is all about your love for magic
The Whisperer
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of The Whisperer
I know the solution to this! Just stop selling Sankey products. It means less publicity for him and less profit too. Okay that's just my opinion I don't know much about business, but the excuse he gave for taking down all youtube videos seems rather sloppy. I wonder just how many people did contact Jay about not being able to find his comedy videos! Most people who are subscribed to his newsletter would have received a direct link to his channel. How else would they know about the comedy videos in the first place? BTW I don't have anything against Jay!
Sh3ldon
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 14:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

From Jay:

Long live real magic,
Jay

Oh well Christopher that explains everything.

Why didn't he bother to send something out via Murphy's to the supporting dealers before he took the action that resulted in us and dealers all over the world receiving multiple notices like this from YouTube?.
Dear Member:
This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by sankey magic inc. claiming that this material is infringing:

Revolutionary Coin Magic by Jay Sankey: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSIE7QYBK8

Please Note: Repeated incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to prevent this from happening, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others.

Despite emails from us to Sankey Magic and Jay personally, we have not had the courtesy of a response it just does not ring true to me. Anyone wanting to find Sankey Magic comedy clips can go find them at Sankey Magic.com

I believe that this is just more to do with the fact that 3 weeks ago Sankey Magic registered on YouTube and currently has 9 videos uploaded there.

Megalomania springs to mind. We dedicate a huge amount of space in our DVD racks to Sankey products and we run a server based clip demo screen in the shop where people can view authorised and produced by Sankey Magic clips of those same DVD's. That is great for people coming into our shop, but what about the E-commerce and telephone customers, until Thursday we could direct them to our YouTube site where they could view the clips. Alas they do not have this option any longer.

The general feeling is that this will seriously impact on the Sankey brand just like the other escapade a couple of years ago did

Anyhow until we have a workable solution, we will not be re-stocking any Sankey Magic products

Best regards
Jaz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Has jay Sankey finally lost the plot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL