The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is it worth it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Why? What happened
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
Sounds like something made you furious. Do tell, you have me very interested.
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Before we started touring the children's play I am in now, the production teacher and her main kiss --- went to the Associated Student Organization to ask for $6 every day we do a show for meal money (Other groups do that too, clubs, sports teams, even the ASO itself).

Well... Three weeks ago the stage idiot and his child bride tell us that the money will serve as an incentive, and anyone who arrives late will not recieve it. (A girl was there AT 8:30 am, our call time, but she still didn't get her money. She didn't get to eat that show day.) Which is wrong because the theatre was given the money to give to the cast and crew no matter how they behave, simple as that.

THEN we had a short day last Friday, we were done by noon. SO, out comes creep and creepella to tell us that since we'd be done so early, we would be given the option of putting the money towards an end of the year party. So, as I figured, I'm the only one to say no. So they pretty much tell me too bad.

So, I went to the ASO and told them what was going on and that I did NOT appreciate it. Well, because the theatre was wrong, she called and let them know.

Well, now they're ticked off because someone, "Went against the theatre to complain to the ASO." Then they wrote a letter basically saying, "We do what we want because we're the theatre" to send to the ASO and read it to us in a Survivor style meeting after the show.

I am SICK and tired of it always being, "Well, this is the theatre." Every single time they do something wrong it's, "Well, this is the theatre" as if it makes it okay. And everytime, they make the school out to be the bad guy for wanting to file the paper work properly and do things by the rules. The theatre employees (Not instructors) are jerks, or documented sex offenders, but because it's going on in the theatre department, it's supposed to be okay. I don't care how it is in a regular theatre, that jerk stage manager is a school employee, he's at the same level as everyone who works there, the Caféteria folks, the receptionists, etc. It is NOT okay for him to treat students like trash.

Their excuse as to WHY they were mis-handling the money? They decided they needed more people to run the show, and never thought of going back to the ASO and ask for however much more money so that we could ensure everyone had atleast six dollars for food. Now, if that was the case (It's not. There are WAY too many people backstage getting in the way.), what they SHOULD have done was explain the situation. The theatre screwed everything up by adding un-neccessary people. NOBODY should be put in the situation where they might not be able to eat. I would have gladly gone in with everyone else to make it even among us until the situation could have been resolved.

I was a vice president in ASO for a while, some time ago. I am SICK and TIRED of people taking advantage. That money in the ASO account does not grow on trees. To give the theatre the money they requested, ASO had to donate a LOT of money. Money that could have been used in other ways to help other groups. If the six dollars means so little to everyone else, I do not understand why they accept it in the first place. And that money was to help us cover the cost of food as we go out and represent the college, not to be juggled around to cover a party.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Welcome to the theatre lol

Seriously though, I've been around several small theatres and have had similar experiences with some of the techies. Whats worse are the owners, one of whom paid all the staff two weeks late because 'im the boss, don't you think of telling me what to do'.

There are lots of good theatre groups out there though....go hunting and your guarantted to find one Smile Oh, and always treat you stage manager well - they can sink a show if they don't like you lol
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
Thank you, Strangelittleman. Kinda makes me feel better.

Nah, I mean, I'm not expecting much. I realize that a stage manager is only human, and is going to have bad days, good days, and really terrible days. I usually tend to make friends with the stage manager. And not to kiss up, they've just been decent except for this current jerk.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-04-19 00:04, marty.sasaki wrote:
Do the performance. Have fun. Don't let them get to you.

Absolutely agree. Just have a blast for yourself! Learn and perform for the people who WILL appreciate it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is it worth it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL