The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Troy Hoosier DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Is the shell included with the Troy Hooser DVD the same shell Nate Kranzo is selling?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Thanks... I just got a hold with Troy via the AOL email address.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Magicgeek
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Magicgeek
The coin inside is a punched shell made out of thin tin or aluminum...No weight but the detail is good
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Don't overlook DesTROYers, the book. It has most of the stuff in the dvd and is much cheaper.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Troy also has a new DVD, "Notes from the Basement" I think, that is only available from him.
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
Quote:
On 2008-05-18 15:55, Mobius303 wrote:
No .
A bang ring is made for locking shell sets.
To get them apart, put them in a plastic cup and shake them lose.
Then, once lose, take a handkerchief or even a cotton sheet...not a blanket, and press the coin between the shell and the sheet, pull the sheet on each side to pop out the coin, and it will gently fix any issues you have with sticking.
Hope that helps,
Mobius

The sheet idea sounds VERY promising. Unfortunately, I still can't get the coin out of the shell.

[insert angry smiley here]
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Use a bang ring. It will work, even if the shell is expanded. Just put the coin on top and bang away.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I usually put them into a coffee cup, cover the top, and shake until they separate.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
Finally got the coin out. Bang ring didn't work; cup method didn't work (just lodged it in tighter). Here's what worked:

I put the coin in a saucepan, shell down, then added a little bit of water, not quite enough to cover the coin. I placed it on the burner of our electric stove and cranked the heat all the way up. The idea here was to try to heat the coin and shell in such a way that more heat was transferred to the shell than to the coin.

As soon as the water started boiling, I dumped the shell/coin into a strainer. Wearing oven mitts, I was able to gradually lift out the coin with the tip of a knife, since the heat caused the shell to expand more than the coin.

Once I got the shell and coin separated, I used the handkerchief suggestion to adjust the shell so it now fits all my halves.

Quite a bit of work for the pleasure of being able to work with what is really not a very good shell. However, it'll give me something to practice with until I get a better one.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
I'm quite astounded by the posts I'm reading. Unfortunately, the other post with Troy himself was locked. I was going to personally ask him for my money back! This purchase took me back to the disappointing times in my youth (1970s) of waiting for things from Marshall Brodien Magic Co. for 8 or 10 weeks only to sit in my room and stare at the trash I saved 6 months to buy. The DVD production? I could have done better with my 9 year old camcorder. The she11??? I can't believe they even call it one! Try this: take some heavy duty aluminum foil and push it around the back of a Kennedy and pull it off! It should look and work better. I would be ashamed to even offer this to a kid as a beginner gaff. $25 value??? In what currency??? I brought this gaff into Abbott's last week to give them all a huge laugh......I succeeded and THEN some. I actually bought this to get second she11, and some bonus routines from what I thought was a great coin worker. Wow, no chance. I wouldn't use even one of these routines. I actually got MORE practical she11 suggestions from Craig's Flipped Out DVD. Bottom line- save your money on this one.
PS. If anyone wants to buy this from me, I can assure you it's NOT been used, other than to open it and play once. I'll sell it for pennies on my investment, as I wouldn't be able to sleep at night otherwise!
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Troy Hooser rocks. Anyone that doesn't think he is a great coinworker...isn't a coinworker. Period. Also, if you are looking for a great shell, invest in a real one instead of a 10 dollar one. Common sense.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
There are two different DVDs being discussed here. Troy's Total Destruction and She**raiser. TD is an absolute classic set of DVDs showcasing Troy's ingenuity, in particular, with a she**. It would seem logical for him to be the guy to put out She**raiser, which from my understanding is an introduction to the she** and some simple routines with this gaff. If you buy Total Destruction, you won't be disappointed.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Polygonsmagic- It's quite apparent that you took my review out of context. No, I'm NOT a coinworker, I'm a part time professional musician, and a full time banker that loves magic. Especially coin magic! As for what I THINK of Troy and investing in a quality she11....and I quote, "I actually bought this to get SECOND she11, and some bonus routines from what I thought was a great coin worker." Therefore, did I think Troy was a good coin worker? Yes, one would draw that conclusion from a pro that is putting out instructional DVDs on the subject! As for my purchase of this to get a SECOND she11, why is that not commonsensical??? All the ads for this DVD indicate that you are getting a free she11 (AT A $25 VALUE!)......think Johnson etc. Had I even thought that they made and sold she11s THIS inferior, I'd have come to these forums first and found some reviews on the thing! My bad there! As for the material, Doug Brewer seems to have said it best. "It would seem logical for HIM to be the guy to put out She**raiser, which from my understanding is an INTODUCTION to the she** and some SIMPLE routines with this gaff." Is this DVD marketed as an INTRODUCTION to the she11 in any way whatsoever? NO! Thus my disappointment! I rest my case.

PS. Doug, thank you for your input! Again, I just wish that the marketing on this would have not been so misleading. Better yet, I wish I'd have checked here first before I ordered. I'm sure everyone here that has quality gaffs and knows anything about manipulating this particular one to deceive lay people would agree with me after seeing BOTH the coin and DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Troy Hoosier DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL