The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Family Entertainer's Workshop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I noticed their ad in the Linking Ring magazine. Since I'm not able to make it to the Kidabra Conference, I thought this might make a nice alternative.

Has anyone here had any experience with this particular workshop? Has it been beneficial in helping to make you a better entertainer, and helping you grow your business?

Brian
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I attended the Family Entertainers Workshop in Las Vegas last year. I don't want to put it down....it was a fine workshop...but it's not in the same league as the KIDabra conference in TN. I went because it was in my home town....I like Steve Kissell and the rest of the staff of FEW, so I don't want to discourage folks from attending, but having attended both FEW and KIDabra last year, there is no comparison. KIDabra is an overdose of kid-show entertainment information for me, but I love it to death. When FEW comes to Vegas again next year, I'll go to it...I'll enjoy it...and I'll learn a few things from it....but it simply can't be compared to KIDabra.

To answer your question specifically; IMO it was slightly beneficial in making me a better entertainer, and I did get a couple of ideas to help grow my business. It was worth the money I spent to attend (remember, it was in my home town so I didn't have any travel or lodging expense). I will not, however, spend the money to travel to FEW in Minnesota this year....although B-Rad (a Las Vegas colleague) IS traveling to MN for the conference this year, so apparently he thinks it's worthwile. Just my humble opinion. Hope it helps!
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks LV. I appreciate the honesty.

I'd love to be able to attend Kidabra, but I simply hate the time of year they hold it (August). For a conference that talks about the importance of booking libraries (among other venues), I have a difficult time taking a week off from those same libraries to attend the conference.

So, for the third year, I'm back to ordering the cd's. :-(

Brian
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 21:52, Brian Lehr wrote:

I'd love to be able to attend Kidabra, but I simply hate the time of year they hold it (August). For a conference that talks about the importance of booking libraries (among other venues), I have a difficult time taking a week off from those same libraries to attend the conference.

I find myself in the same boat as you Brian. I have no doubt that Kidabra would be a rich experience but August is booked so densly with Summer reading closers, it would be foolish to lose the income and tragic to dissapoint such a large number of library clients. Years ago August was not as busy but booking habits have changed, at least in my region.

I will be attending the ventriloquist convention in Kentucky, which I love. Kidabra remains on my to-do list though!
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Right on!

HEY KIDABRA! HOW ABOUT FEBRUARY (oh wait... that's blue & gold banquet time) MARCH (no... schools are starting to kick back in). I KNOW! JAN 3rd thru whatever. Ain't nobody doin nuthin but shovlin snow. And I'm sure conference costs would be drastically lower. There's always that possibility for getting snowed out, or in, but there has to be a better time than August.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
January doesn't work for us trade show folks - busy time there. Ya just can't please everyone, sadly. The greatest complaints I hear about August come from teachers prepping for the new school year who would like to attend and can't. There just isn't a perfect time of year to hold a conference of this nature.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Family Entertainer's Workshop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL