The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Give away the secrets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Give the secrets away? I wouldn't even give this guy the time of day!

Seriously, DON'T.

About the best advice I'd give is to not do magic in front of him, or focus on a sucker trick or two.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
There is a great routine on another forum that is entitled "Death to the Heckler" I did not cut and paste and put it here as I am not sure that it is allowed or ethical. But I do believe it would shut him up...maybe not but I think it would. You can PM me for info or just search a few of the other forums under "Death to the Heckler".
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 19:25, acesover wrote:
There is a great routine on another forum that is entitled "Death to the Heckler" I did not cut and paste and put it here as I am not sure that it is allowed or ethical. But I do believe it would shut him up...maybe not but I think it would. You can PM me for info or just search a few of the other forums under "Death to the Heckler".

PM'd ya Smile
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Der Magier
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Der Magier
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 11:47, mrunge wrote:
Do NOT take him aside and tell him how everything is done in hopes of keeping him quiet. Absolutely NOT!!!

Tell everyone, up front, that you'll be glad to entertain them with some magic as long as it's enjoyable for ALL, including you. If anyone starts ruining the experience, just stop. Call them on it and make everyone aware of why you're stopping. He'll get the message and hopefully shut up.

If not, quit, go have some more cake and get back to the party! You're there as much of a guest as everyone else. You're NOT hired help who can be abused by those in attendance.

Mark. Smile

I agree one hundred percent. Don't tell him the secrets: not only does he seem to have no interest in actually learning to preform the trick, he is also likely to just keep on ruining the fun anyway. By the way, I wouldn't mind learning where to find how to learn the 'stuck to the floor' trick.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
[/quote]
By the way, I wouldn't mind learning where to find how to learn the 'stuck to the floor' trick.
[/quote]

Scroll up the page a bit...I posted a link.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 19:25, acesover wrote:
There is a great routine on another forum that is entitled "Death to the Heckler"

I didn't find that. Did you mean this?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
One more vote in favour of just cutting the guy off. I'd cut the entire family off, to be honest. There's no good way around it. If you do the trick for them, and he hears about it, and he demands that you do it for him, and you refuse, you'll look like a coward.

One thing I'd also recommend is to not necessarily look at getting new material, but instead to look at what you already have and try to find weaknesses, and eliminate them. Mastery of a routine means being able to disprove every possible non-magical method, including the one you're actually using. Being able to eliminate doubts before they arrive will make your magic a lot stronger. When you can convince them that you've not forced a card when you've forced a card, you'll know you're on another level. Incidentally, being able to do this will help you with "secret shouters", since you've already shown that the secrets they're shouting don't apply to your tricks.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
By no means. Do not tell. But try taking him aside, and ask him.." Listen, I enjoy performing magic, and our family enjoys watching me perform it.. why do you expose how it's done? maybe you don't realize it but you are ruining a good experience for everyone."

If this doesn't work tell the family that you would like to perform, but that BIL makes it hard. I know what it is to show off your stuff. And a good appreciative audience is wonderful to have.

I also recommend you get something like " Heckler" by Brian Tudor, if you are into card magic that is. Most of the routine is controls and palms to different areas, and the idea is, he has no clue half the time what is coming next. It WILL require time on your part to learn the routine.. But if he wants to heckle treat him like a Heckler. You really need to get the audience on your side here... and you may need to deal with him in a manner which embarrasses him. You did ask him nicely, he refused. He should get what he has coming. He IS interfering with your enjoyment, and let's face it, family more often than not is where we practice our performance. He shouldn't be interfering with that.

On the other hand... try and see the silver lining in this dark cloud, if you ever wish to go professional, and perform in other venues, you will more than likely get heckled. This is a perfect opportunity to learn how to deal with a Heckler in a way that won't jeapordize your paycheck.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Here is the link to the essay, "Death to Hecklers" by non other than, well...me!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

All best,
Brad Burt
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Fantastic essay Brad. Thanks for sharing it again. Well worth reading!

Mark. Smile
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I hope you don't mind Brad, I Copy and Pasted the essay to my Hard drive. For my own personal study, and so I can come back to it from time to time. I would never share it. Also, I am not sure what the policy here is about that if it is ok or not, so mentioned it.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Der Magier
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Der Magier
I can't find stuck to the floor anywhere....
JustLoco
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, Ca
111 Posts

Profile of JustLoco
I would have to agree with everyone here that you should not in anyway tell him the secrets.

In addition, do your stuff and if he starts in just invite him to do some magic of his own. See if he can take the heat. If he refuses to perform then ask him to be quiet while you do something that he doesn't have the balls to do. And if he does perform act very amazed and bug him for the secrets all night.
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
Yea...my sister n laws mom is that way, after doing bill to lemon once I later caught her in the kitchen with the lemon tearing ti appart trying to figure it out. and there are other similar examples. some people just can't enjoy a performance for the entertainment value.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
OK... I hope you cut this guy off... no magic for him, /ever/. Don't tell him jack about magic, nothing, nada, zilch, nil. He doesn't deserve it.

Me personally? I would (I am not recommending this, just telling what I would do) start pulling pranks on him with all that fun shop crap that nearly all magic stores carry. For Christmas I would get him Anti-Monkey Butt powder. Get a squirt nickel and make out like you are going to a trick. Buffalo nickel patter: "See the buffalo? Watch closely, no here get close... really look at it... Its a special buffalo... it's a WATER BUFFALO!" Monticello nickel patter: "Did you know that first historical automatic lawn sprinklers were invented by Thomas Jefferson and installed in the lawn at Monticello? Yeah! In fact look at a nickel and see for self! You got a nickel? Look on the back! You don't see the sprinklers? Give it here I will show you..." (shuttle pass) look here... no get real close... look right there..."

I would buy a book of dirty tricks... (Penn & Teller's book works fine) and start doing some of that stuff to him... Be prepared for his revenge by researching what he might try on you so you can avoid it if at all possible... and be prepared to get dinged by him and laugh it off... Most of all try to have as much fun as you possibly can at his expense.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Searched for that Stuck on the Floor effect - anyone got any idea where it is now....very interested Smile
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Don't tell him anything. if he bothers you during the performance use a hammer.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I found this very interesting blog site regarding "Stuck to the Floor". Just thought you might want to know. http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/sutra240991.php&highlight=

As for the BIL, I like the idea of handing him a deck of cards and telling him that if he knows so much, why doesn't he demonstrate his abilities? It sounds like he needs to be seriously embarrased and put in his place.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Never tell. I you have a friend like that, don't invite him to the party. It's that simple and tell him why.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Give away the secrets? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL