The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Invisible Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If you do a google search you can find a lot of places, including Amazon.com, selling black Kevlar thread. My question. Do I need a particular kind of Kevlar thread? Are there different thicknesses? I don't think it is strippable.

Here is a link for a spool of black Kevlar thread for $2.25. Not sure if it will be invisible though.

http://www.amazon.com/Kevlar-Thread-Colo......0030AB7Y

Mike
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
That looks the right color and sheen, but it's hard to tell if that the fibrous Kevlar...
But, for that price, no harm in trying it out!
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 21:17, Dave V wrote:
Best value? Wooly Nylon from your local fabric shop. Wax toilet bowl ring from your local hardware store. Total cost? A couple of bucks. You can't beat that for value.

The wax ring idea is a great idea, Thank You!

As for the thread Kevlar thread is good, but if you’re looking for ease of use I would recommend any of the Yigal Mesika thread dispensers. For one the thread is already stripped and two he makes different types for various applications.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I've tried kevlar thread in an ITR and it was not a good experience for me. It may have been the type of kevlar thread, but it was completely visible under almost all sorts of lighting other than in a darkened bar. I went back to the standard ITR thread and Wooly Nylon.

Yes the Kevlar was a bit stronger, but the visiblity factor made it unusable for me.

Does anyone know if there are different types of Kevlar thread? Brand, thickness, sources, etc.? Did anyone purchase the $2.75 spool and try it out yet?
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-04-28 21:17, Dave V wrote:
Wax toilet bowl ring from your local hardware store.

I saw some at Walmart, but the wax itself was a darker yellow and a bit gooey. Is this the right stuff; or was this particular one too warm? I thought it would have a lot thicker consistency like candle wax or something similar.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
There is some great info here. I am on my way to Walmart now. Thnaks for the tips.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I used to buy normal IT but tried the wooly nylon because a friend said I should give it a shot. It is the exact same stuff. Looks the same, strips the same and works the same. I have been using it for years doing various effects. My favorite being Fearsons Floating Cig.

I perfer to use regular magician's wax (which is a mix of the toilet bowl wax and paraffin wax). The toilet wax is a little gooey for me. I live in a hot climate and I have had it slip through the wax because of the heat. The paraffin makes it a little harder. Just my 2 cents...
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Re: Slipping thru the wax...

When I do my setup, I roll the wax into a small rice-shaped piece. Not a little ball, but a bit elongated. Then I wrap the thread around that a few times, then squish it into a ball, and roll it a number of times more, pulling more thread into it, so it is pretty much intertwined in the wax. I've broken threads, sure, but never pulled it out of the wax using that method.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Invisible Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL