The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » A serious question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Does it bother any of you that the moderators of this forum, in establishing an area specially for female performers, assume that the primary topic of discussion would be clothing?
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
It doesn't bother me. One of the major issues I deal with is clothing. Most magic is, of coure, geared for the male magician, and when it says something like "...and then secretly drop this into the pocket of your jacket...." what are you do do when you don't wear a jacket? Some of my performance outfits are very form fitting and sleeveless. It makes it difficult to conceal things in the "normal" way. Clothing is an issue, to me at least, and it's nice to have somewhere to go to ask about it and have the questions answered seriously.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thinking out of the box and discussing how to use of gaff props like lipstick, makeup compacts, bracelets, hair accessories and the like would be interesting to me.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
assume that the primary topic of discussion would be clothing

John, that assumption is yours. That topic is given as AN example. Nowhere does it say or imply PRIMARY example.
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
I don’t have a problem with it because clothing is such an issue. Like Margarette said, a lot of instructions just say to casually put something in your pocket or remove it when I don’t wear such types of jackets. Even women’s suit jackets don’t have such pockets normally. Personally, I’m very into mentalism and the p**k wallets are all masculine. I always look for checkbooks or other items that I can gaff myself.

However, I’ve also learned that there are certain advantages to being a woman. I’ve vanished coins into my bra that utterly floored people. They could not for the life of them figure out where that darn coin went -- haha. I’ve found that sports bras can make terrific topits if they fit just right.

I have also, while sitting at a table, palmed off cards and slipped them up my skirt temporarily. It just looks like I’m straightening up my skirt hem or pulling it down. Then I can get it back when I need it. It’s kind of like lapping.

I have sometimes ditched the little cut pieces of rope at the end of a rope routine down the back of my shirt while flicking my hair back. Nobody thought twice about it.

It’s really tough not having those jacket pockets on the sides the way men do but being a woman sometimes has its advantages too. Smile

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
I think clothing is an important issue no matter the sex of the performer. Holly those are some great suggestions. Since I'm not a woman it's no applicable to me, but maybe I can look into a bro, or a man-zier to vanish items. I just don't think I have the figure for it. LOL.
James
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
What else?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 12:14, HollyMental wrote:
I have sometimes ditched the little cut pieces of rope at the end of a rope routine down the back of my shirt while flicking my hair back. Nobody thought twice about it.

I have actually done the same, ditching a TT. I've also started out with the gimmick for a pen through bill hidden in a scrunchy, stealing it while casually adjusting it as the spec examined the pen.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
It doesn't bother me... As a costume designer and magician, I find the clothing topics most interesting.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Quote:
On 2008-05-02 06:49, JohnWells wrote:
Does it bother any of you that the moderators of this forum, in establishing an area specially for female performers, assume that the primary topic of discussion would be clothing?

No not really. Firesly it was just given as an example. Secondly the clothing is one of the main/only big differences between magic for men and women, pretty much every thing else is unisex.

I have big problems with clothes especialy, I would love to wear a fetching suit jacket and it would make life a lot easer but it deffenly would not suit me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » A serious question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL