The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Charities - 3 booking rule (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
So, I get an email, can I donate a show to auction? Of course not, how could I schedule for that? I'll send you two copies of my book. Email me details. I forget who the call was from before the email arrives. No note to remind me, just a generic request and a donation form. I think it's someone else and ignore it (one of the people on the board of this private school is one of the wealthiest women in the state of Michigan. I get a call while I'm out to dinner with friends asking me where my donation is. I send it, no thank you at all.

Fast forward. I strike a deal with another charity group to walkaround for a couple of hours at their event in return for a half page ad in their program. I arrive, the person I'm working with won't even come to meet me. I find the program, my ad is quarter page. Not a thank you, nothing. I did get to know another staffer who was gracious at the event. You see, there were bigger celebrities there than me (if you are a sports fan.)

Forward to today. I go out to do walkaround 30 minute drive from my house. My GPS tells me I have arrived. At nothing. I drive around for 20 minutes, ask for help, no joy.

This is why last year I picked a couple of charities, one I liked and one that treated me right the first time, and will be working for them only, except for charities that can meet one simple rule:

A charity is eligible to be considered by me if at least three people identify as booking me because of that charity. They can be staff, volunteers, or recipients, I don't care, but if they don't meet that rule no dice. If I do an appearance or donate books, then they have until the next year to produce three bookings for me.

I know many of these groups think there is a moral imperative at work here. The worst one was the school for priveleged kids, not the charities for the health-related issues.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I have always held to charities that I personally have some stake in their effort, and then only if no other entertainer is being paid, and only under my conditions. Works great for me. Sounds like you have found a way that works for you. I had similar experience to yours in my early days, they are big on promises and small on delivery.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Okay, here's one for you.

April 24th. I'm at the office and Rocco comes rushing in, with the phone in his hand. "Here, talk to this Councilman, he needs someone to do a show at a senior center THIS afternoon." He handed me the phone. The councilman asked me my price for about 20 minutes. I gave him a price and then he asked me if I could do it on the cheap since it was coming directly out of his pocket. Well, I was feeling charitable and decided to do a favor. Long story short, it went great, everybody loved it AND at the end he paid me and gave me a HUGE tip. He said he had some events coming up and he would give me a call to perform.

The following Monday, Rocco comes in and says we both were invited to the Councilman's fund raiser, May 1st. We are to do a little magic and mingle. Ok, why not.

I get there (event from 6 - 9 PM) around 6:30. The Councilman sees me and comes over to say hello. He grabs me and says "Thank God you're here, you gotta get up there and do something, we have to get this party started." Now, the place is packed, they have a DJ and an Emcee. I said that Rocco wasn't here yet and that he would show up at 7:PM. So, everything is going along, Rocco shows up and then we were told to perform around 7:30 or 7:45. No Probs, I think. Long winded speakers slow down everything, and it's now 7:30, we are waiting in the wings. Next thing I notice is ANOTHER performer show up; magician/ventriloquist! WHAT the F? This guy ain't in our league, and you mean they HIRED him to perform?!!!

Here we are, two award winners, a world record holder, a magical superstar, a TV Celebrity AND a resident of said town.

Well, we did our bit. I started off, did 2 routines involving the Chief of police (Blew the roof off the joint) and another councilmen. (Had them all laughing and hollering) Then I introduced Rocco to a rousing round of applause. Needless to say he killed. After that, the emcee and to restore order (no easy feat) and he introduced another speaker, who spoke for about 3 minutes, then he introduced the other act. He brought the room to a screeching halt. He was nothing great, stock lines, old jokes and a mediocre act at best.

We held our head up, did our job, said our goodbyes and learned a lesson.

Sometimes…
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

My next thought would be, after this we probably won't hear from the councilman again. Because instead of payback, he worry that hiring you will be an admission of the last mistake. So far he's only been looking out for himself.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Politicians, yo!
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

We have a guy on our township council who will walk up to people and say "Hey, long time no see" when they know for a fact they've never met him before, trying to act like he's their pal. He's exploiting his position by other means.

Anyway, I've decided to create a form for charities to fill out and return to me. An application, that will go to my "admin."

I may also ask charities if their accountants are working free.

Now that my book is on Lulu I may just donate copies.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Get really good at doing charity shows and pretty soon all you're doing is charity shows.

Jim
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

So today another branch of the same group asks for more free time, but also asks for rates for events listed on a nonexistent web page. I sent her an email with the new rule.

Haven't heard back.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
I have found that if you do work for free, you are treated like you are free. When they have to pay you are treated a lot better.

Since last year I have limited the things I do for charities to the ones I choose and not the ones that choose me.

This was all do to 2 groups that wanted me to donate my time and I did. When I got there found out that all the other entertainment was getting paid but me.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Angel Freire
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
72 Posts

Profile of Angel Freire
It seems like the free publicity you get from doing charity work is more expensive than paid ads.People tend to take advantage of your good nature. Maybe like Photius you should consider doing only a charity that you believe in.
Just my 2 cents.
Angel
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Yep, I found one religious charity I like, but I'm not calling them again if they don't call me. And even the charity for a medical cause treated me like dirt and I am going to be booked when they call again.

This weekend I got a mass email from a local festival that might let me perform for free if I pass their audition. They will allow me to do BOTR sales. I could literally do one free show for every booking I've had so far this year if I just answered the requests I've already received.

Frankly, I've got other fish to fry right now and the magic is actually getting in the way. I'm thinking about creating an "executive" show, making it pricey, doing it for the few calls I get and getting on with my life.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Charities - 3 booking rule (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL