The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Water Forms in Interstellar Space at 10K (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Cribbed from slashdot.org

KentuckyFC writes

"Water is the most abundant solid material in space. But although astronomers see it on planets, moons, in comets and in interstellar clouds, nobody has been able to show how it forms. In theory, it should form easily when oxygen and atomic hydrogen meet. The problem is that there is not enough of it floating around as gas in interstellar dust clouds. So instead, the thinking is that water must form when atomic hydrogen interacts with frozen solid oxygen on the surface of dust grains in these clouds. Now Japanese astronomers have demonstrat......rst time in the lab in conditions that simulate interstellar space. That's cool because all the water in the solar system, including almost every drop you drink on Earth today, must have formed in exactly this way more than 5 billion years ago in a pre-solar dustcloud (abstract)."
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Cool, I never knew KFC was that educational. I thought it was all about greasy chicken.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
KFC is pretty prolific on slashdot.org

Sometimes people ask him to cite his sources, but he usually BALKS! Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sounds like the guy on alt.conspiracy named Brad Guth who insists we didn't go to the moon!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Water Forms in Interstellar Space at 10K (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL