The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » XLR Microphone Cables (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Help! I'm looking for short lengths of XLR microphone cables (3 or 4 feet in length) at a decent price. Alternatively, I need a to find a resource where I can learn how to make these short cables myself. I need to buy or make about one dozen of these short cables in order to daisy chain a bunch of lights in close proximity. I've looked at various music stores and the short lengths are about $15 per cable! Please, any help or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Try here:

http://tinyurl.com/4tgnzm

Lyndel
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/M......u=361707

Great prices, this is just one page. 6' cables $8.99.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Not exactly what you are looking for, but this is a great resource.

These guys sell raw parts, but also have a wonderful adapter they just released at NAB (the National Association of Broadcasters) in April.

First, the wicked cool (me Boston dialect is comin' out!) adapter they have is featured in this show:

http://pixelcorps.cachefly.net/macbreak-135-540p-h264a.mov

Their website is http://www.neutrik.com/

Scott
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
(4) three footers for Twenty Dollers on Ebay. This price includes shipping.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Be sure to check if they're 3 pin or 4 pin (or even five pin).

Microphone cable is always 3 pin......but lighting cable can be pretty much anything depending on the manufacturer.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks everyone! The link provided really did the trick. Where I live, I couldn't even get the PARTS for the cables at that price! And yes, I did check to ensure they were 3 pin cables as I needed. Thanks again.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Hello.

Mic cable is usually used also to carry DMX (the protocol used to control light fixtures) data BUT (a big but) it shouldn't be used to. DMX data is more sensible to cable quality and regular microphone cable does not meet DMX specifications.

Anyway I do use it and it works but for long runs you shouldn't do that. There are people who send DMX data by the audio snake (30mt, 50mt, ...) with success.

So...

Use it.

And...

Don't use it and buy DMX cable.

What would I do:

Make my own cables at home buying connectors and regular cable.

Have a good day.

Gusi

http://www.magogusi.com

PS: It's like a joke. If you Google about "mic cable for DMX" or some like this you will be confronted with a discussion like this one.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Actually three pin XLR cable for lighting is frowned on in many places for reasons other than folks tend to use mic cable when they run out of proper lighting cable.

The reason it's frowned on is because both Clear-Com and audio signal mic/cable could accidentally get plugged into a lighting fixture control circuit.

What's the problem with that you might ask?

Well, if somebody activates the "call" button on a Clear-Com, and it's been accidentally plugged into a lighting fixture, the voltage that activates the light/buzzer/flasher will fry the input of whatever lighting instrument you've got it plugged into......you'll be lucky if it's only one as lighting fixtures are often daisy chained.
If it happens to hit the input of your console.....well, you might want to hope it's still on warranty.

If it's an audio cable that's plugged in accidentally, when the sound guy turns on phantom power to that channel you're once again potentially fried.

Lots of folks use three pin XLR for lighting control, but if given a choice it's usually a better idea to split audio from lighting, with audio using three pin XLR, and lighting using anything BUT three pin XLR.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » XLR Microphone Cables (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL