The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who to practice in front of??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 14:36, cpbartak wrote:
Some mentalism requires people just to attempt to learn the properties. For example, I can't see how anyone could practice contact mind reading alone,

Just found this quote and I would disagree. Go alone to anyplace where there is a lot of people. Spend time watching them, absorbing their gestures, motions and foot placement. Develop observational skills about how people in general telegraph their intentions in numerous ways.. For example, watch how people shift their weight before moving their head or body to look at something. The audience can be of more help than the medium in doing contact or non-contact mind reading demonstrations. This is a skill you must develop alone since no one else's observation is relevant.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 20:27, captainkk wrote:
I practice in front of a mirror first, then video myself. What I've also been doing is recording myself to hear my patter, it helps me get the patter part of the act flowing smoothly. After I get it down, I then put on the show for my wife and kids.

I practice in front of a mirror as well. The only problem is the guy in the mirror can be over critical at times. Smile

Once I've got the move right, or trick, I'll show it to my wife who isn't so critical.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 05:13, Brent McLeod wrote:
As mentioned-Practice in private

Rehearse in front of family once comfortable with your practice

Then video your act-This may surprise or shock how you look & sound etc
but its a great way to learn

Then perform in [public!!!

good advice indeed

you can't always be prepared for real world situations, that's why it's good to have all your moves and routines second nature so you are more equipped for anything else that could happen.
cdelah
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of cdelah
I think it is always best to practice in front of a mirror. You can see yourself as a spectator would.
TheWhiteye
View Profile
New user
Chicago
29 Posts

Profile of TheWhiteye
Videotape videotape videotape.

From learning the moves while watching in real time; to perfecting your tone and your patter. Videotape catches what your eyes unconsciously miss.

The only way videotape practice works though is if you WATCH IT!

and then again, and again.
TheWhiteye
View Profile
New user
Chicago
29 Posts

Profile of TheWhiteye
And again.
mentalmagic101
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of mentalmagic101
There is only one way and that's get out there in front of a real audiance. I will spen many months pratcing and rehearsing before I try somthing new in my set.
You will never get a true reaction from your Mummy guys !!!!
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Yes I practice for my wife, who is also my assistant all the time. Just a note: There are going to be times where they get tired of being the ginnie pig though. Also if you plan on practicing for them, please be aware that they are going to become jaded and will give you criticism that you may not want. Be open to what they have to say because they are your audience speaking to you out loud.
courtmagician
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
19 Posts

Profile of courtmagician
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 21:23, MagicMikeMartin wrote:
I left wishing I had the time to work in a magic shop....just for the practice/rehersal time alone!

About 10 years back, I managed a small magic/joke shop in Boston and we demonstrated the same dozen or so tricks about 100 times a day, and although I couldn't say I "practiced" anything new (however we're defining that in this thread), I definitely learned how to work a crowd, and I'm extremely grateful for that job.
Learning that all things magical are not limited to card tricks.

http://lessonsinmagic.com
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
My wife has gotten very tired of watching my practice runs. I tend to agree with the comments about practicing till you've got it right. Then share with others. I've found that at good magic shops, you can show a short routine to those running the shop! When they aren't too busy, just ask if they would mind. Another approach is at the local Magic Club. They often have time during the meeting to run through a routine and get feedback from club members.

Hudson
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
I wouldn't "practice" in front of anyone, as Jaz stated.
In terms of the first real person (my videotaped friend doesn't count, and he's usually never listening to me anyway) I tend to actually perform it for random people.
I don't like performing for my family at all if I can help it. I want the few times I perform for them to be special, and the absolute best effects I've worked on.

If you can find a professional friend to work with you, in the context of a manager, that will only help you all the more. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a fellow magician for this role as they may be too knowledgeable for the effects to really 'play'.
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Sometimes our "absolute rules" do have exceptions. Thdy just may not apply to you. For instance, when I work out a new escape, I sometimes need one or even two people to help with the ropes and knots. This is before I even start to practice.

On the other hand, when I have new a PK effect, I practice in private. Then I am fortunate to have a caberet where a lot of local talent go to try out material. Rehearsing new material "in workshop", in front of other singers, comics and variety artists can be a very positive experience. It also helps lead to gigs.
aka Mike Booth
Simon Mandal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Simon Mandal
Your family is likely to be a much more difficult audience to impress.
Unless you are very secretive, they probably know a little about how magic works.

They are also used to your natural rhythms, and can tell when your movements are a little "off."
People who don't know you may not know you are not quite acting the way you do.

The only way to get good in front of people is to perform a few well selected effects thousands of times in front of lot of different people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who to practice in front of??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL