The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Mug (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Recently I saw a Chop Mug by The Merchant of Magic

Just want to ask if this cup can be used as a regular coffee or tea cup ? As in pouring hot water in it ?

Will it affect the gimmick in it ?

Thanks a lot folks Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Two things come to mind:

1) If the gaff is "inside" the cup you risk staining or otherwise ruining the gaff.

2) If they use a neodymium type of gaff, they can lose their special properties at as low as 170 degrees. Too hot to drink, but well below boiling.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Why risk it? you can switch it out... or just pour what "looks" like hot liquid in it. Cold coffee out of a coffee pot and then acting like its hot can be just as convincing.

-DJ
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It doesn't have to be hot. I drink water or other cold drinks from a mug since it's sturdy (I'm sometimes a klutz).
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 12:56, djkuttdecks wrote:
Why risk it? you can switch it out... or just pour what "looks" like hot liquid in it. Cold coffee out of a coffee pot and then acting like its hot can be just as convincing.

-DJ

I agree with DJ, I only use cofee as final load for a regular chop cup 2 times and always the people reaction is: ohh look cofee. The Hot is a property of cofee that we have in our subconscient... I think.
Good Luck,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Very true - the mind only sees what the eye is prepared to tell it.

I.e. if you say its coffee, and it looks like coffee - its coffee!

...if that makes sense?
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
All, thanks for the responds.

@Dave: I've confirmed the answer to my questions, it's inside the cup Smile
So probably no good for using it as my daily morning coffee Smile

@djkuttdecks: got your point Smile just that I'm thinking of really using it to drink my coffee Smile

@marty.sasaki: guess I can only use it to drink anything that's not hot Smile

@Hansel: thanks man, I understand your point too Smile

@Kipee: yup. agree Smile

Bottom line, too bad I can't use it to drink hot coffee Smile It's really good if it can Smile

Thank a lot guys.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I purchased a very similar looking mug from one of the major dealers several years ago. It arrived. The package looked good , no dents etc. But when I looked at the cup it was a piece of trash. It was a regular mug with a ill fitting piece of plastic in the bottom that dropped out , the gaff dropped out also. Even if it hadn't it was so poorly made you could never have let anyone even glance at it. $ 40.00 US then , with exchange and shipping $60.00 CDN. I thought the idea was great , product (I got ) wasn't. The supplier took it back no problem with full credit and shipping returned.
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Hi Alan, thanks for the info Smile yup I thought it's a great idea too, even more great if I can really have the functionality as an ordinary cup Smile (as in using it for drinking Smile)
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
In "Approaching Magic" (his latest book), David Regal has a chop mug routine that ends with one of the mugs (it's a two mug routine) filled with cocoa. He provides instructions for making the chop mug yourself, and although I've not made one, it didn't appear to be terribly difficult.
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
The Chop Mug from Merchant from Magic was created by me, I make each individually.

A video clip of it can be seen here. http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p2434/The_Cho......nfo.html

100 have gone to the U.S for distribution, and I’m just finishing another 100, so you should be able to find them in many U.S dealers.

The m****t is in the base of the mug, so the inside of the mug is totally normal, yes neodymium is used, as is casting plaster and a white finishing plaster with a glaze over the top. The base is reasonably waterproof, but I wouldn't recommend prolonged submergence in water or dishwashers. Regarding heat, it's fine with warm water, but hot water tends to soften the plaster after prolonged exposure.

Whilst testing, I used one as a normal coffee cup, with washing after every use. It was fine for the first 8 or 9 times, but then the plaster started to become a bit soft and wear and tear started to show.

If anyone has any questions about the product or any problems and would like to discuss it, or if you would like any close up photos of the product, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks

Dave Bonsall
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
I bought one of Bonz' Chop Mugs to add to my collection. Nice item!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Mug (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL