The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rubenstein's HOPS vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
How many people on this board are using this vanish? I would like to know your opinions. Cheers
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Yesterday, I took part in the lecture show of Chris Korn. He used HOPS vanish many times in his routines. I myself have not been using that slight ever, but his masterful adaptation of it made me to be interested in it.

T.Takenaka
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Is that short for "Hours of Practicing Sleight"? Seriously, it is well within the grasp of the average coin worker, and fun to practice. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

What king of vanish is it? a Put or Take, or throw, a steal..........
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I believe you're referring to the ROPS move...not HOPS. It stands for Retention Open Palm Steal. It looks good when done right. I can't do it right, though. Smile

-JIm
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Oh......that was a misprint in Korn's notes then.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I use the vanish. I think in the right situation it is a wonderful thing. The timing of course is the most important aspect. I think it is very similiar in timing only to the Retention pass.
Chris does it exceptionally well. I have seen him use it a number of times and it really doesn't look like the coin could be gone but it is.
Cheers,
Kr8tvty
Boxav8r
View Profile
New user
New England
58 Posts

Profile of Boxav8r
Could someone describe the vanish without giving away the method?
Will anyone who believes in telekenesis please raise my hand?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It is misprinted in Korn's notes. Its the ROPS move, not HOPS.

The name tells you exactly what it is, Retention Open Palm Steal.

It is similar to the Retention pass in that you get a visual burn of the coin as your hand closes, but with Mike's application the coin is really laying in your hand and you do a stealing move as the hand closes.

All of Mike's videos features a teaching on this move I believe.
Click to visit:
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi everybody. The ROPS move is found in my lecture notes and lecture tape (directly through me), or on my DVD Knockout Coin Magic, produced by L&L. The newer DVD's from L&L, The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights, has an entire section on this move and its utililizations (along with about 100 other coin sleights, many original....but I digress). The move is designed to steal out a coin already in the hand during an innocent gesture, which saves you from doing a transfer. Its about as difficult to perform as a retention pass, and is based on timing which only comes with practice. Until the re-release of the L&L material, the move and it's applications have stayed pretty much underground. Chris Korn does the move well, Reed McClintock uses it, and I hope you will too! - Michael Rubinstein (and thanks, Dan and Jim, for clarifying the name!)
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
This move is so clever and crisp when used at the right moment. I use the move in two routines that I perform. This is one of those moves to have in your arsenal of sleights. I don't think we should talk about this move anymore. We don't want other people using the R.O.P.S. move. It killer you will know when you have it because it feels right. Practice with it, I have two variations on it also. MSR gave a great gift to the magic communitee when he shot those videos. If you guys don't have them get them the knowledge is well worth every cent. I am sure I posted that somewhere on this board.
Cheers Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Yes, I remember now, Korn did this for me, It resembled a move I saw on the Goshman video. Francis Carlyle used to do it all the time.

The coin ends up in thumb palm, am I correct.......initially anyway.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
No the coin does not end up in thumb palm - unless you decide to transfer it to that position.
Click to visit:
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi Sean, The coin is actually stolen in a retention-like manner, and winds up on the tip of your second finger (or fingertip rest, depending on how you want to steal the coin). Afterwards, you can transfer it to any spot you want. To my knowledge, there has never been a move as similar, (especially from Goshman, as it is totally not his style).
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Hmmm I guess that was a different vanish he showed me then. Cheers. I'm going to have to get the DVD's now.

Sean
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
Hello Mike,

Thanks for all the info regarding the ROPS.

Will you please let me know how I can order your notes from you?

Thanks,

Scott
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The ROPS move is great. I use it to vanish the last coin in my coins across to spectator's hand routine and it kills like no other vanish I've used in that particular routine. It truly looks like trick photography.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rubenstein's HOPS vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL