The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reactions To "Sudden Deck"? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
Paul Harris' Dehydrated Deck!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
What about it?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Adam V-
Do you have the effect and have you tried
it out on an audience?
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Yes and yes.

I'm willing to admit that I may not be presenting it in the best way, however I still feel that it is a fairly obvious effect. Still, if you guys are having good luck with it then power to you.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hi Adam V -

Sudden Deck IS an odd trick to present because one has to both do something and NOT do something:

a) One has to casually point out the front and back of the opened card box, while...

b) ....refraining from saying anything along the lines of "I have no cards in here, but watch!"

That's an extreme (silly) example, but I'm serious - the best presentations point up the inside and outside without tipping the effect. Sudden Deck is a trick where the audience isn't supposed to know what is about to happen. That's a core principle of many magic effects, including this one! The patter I use is sometimes "Look what I do to save space...", or "Here's what I did when I went through customs last week..." or "My tailor insists I do this when I carry card boxes, so my suitjacket doesn't bulge..." I then say something to the effect of "It's not a problem, really, because a card box is just a piece of cardboard with an outside and an inside..." It's not until the box is folded that I imply something is going to appear inside. Work the folds so you can assemble the box smoothly, and stay ahead of them.

I've cobbled together a bunch of tricks over the years, and for my money - and for the reactions I get - Sudden Deck is one of the best. It uses a bold discrepancy as part of its method, as is happily pointed out in the directions. For those who like fiddling about, other handlings are possible. I sometimes use Method #2 described in the directions, but holding the opened box diagonally between the hands, and "wiggling" it. An advantage of the second method is that there is zero risk of perceived weight.

I am always fascinated by the fact that some people will get a strong reaction from a trick (any trick) and other people won't. When that happens to me I try to find out what the former are doing in the way of presenting the trick that gets them the response they get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to change your mind if you feel this (or any) trick of mine is not for you, but as far as unrequested advice goes, that's pretty good unrequested advice.

Someone posted the responses he's been getting with Sudden Deck on the "other" forum. He wasn't a plant - I swear. Now I must stop replying to these threads because it comes off as self-serving, so thank you for bearing with me!

My wife just said I'm a little baby.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Smile I know how you feel.. Smile
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
I received my sudden deck this afternoon. If I can fool the wife I know I've got something. I used it this evening at my restaurant gig and got good reactions even though I need to work on the presentation, which I will do. I'm also thinking this could be good to use in my stand up show. I like it and will use it!
Dan
kusoyon
View Profile
New user
Muskegon, Michigan
77 Posts

Profile of kusoyon
I use "Sudden Deck" not as a single item but as an intro into something else. Such as "Kiss", "Koornwinder Kar", or " Card in Pen". I have had GREAT results with it. As for people examining my prop..........I don't think so & its not gonna happen. I paid just too much for my items to have that happen. If they ask, I say sure if I can go thru your personal items at your home. I am a Magician / Entertainer not a displayer of "neat items" for their "Whims or Wishes"

Frank Thomas
"The closer you look; the less you see"
H. Blackston Jr.
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
That's the spirit... Smile
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi Adam V,
Sorry if I sounded like that, but I said "if you do not have this effect...bla bla bla".

As for the Flustration count and the Cross Cut force, what I meant is that these are also obvious things, if you stop for a second to think about them. A friend I know doesn't use the Flustration count because he finds it is too obvious.

Hope I cleared up the mater now, so I can sleep. Smile

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I know, I use them too. Well, not the flushtration count, but I use the Olram subtlety which is a move I used to think was garbage until I tried it.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
That's it. Smile Just give this some more tries and tell me how you are doing, wiil you? I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
It's a great surprising visual effect and the handling is very straightforward allowing full emphasis on the presentation.

The printing on the box makes me smile. Clearly altered as a result of copyright protection, it looks a bit like one of those fake branded goods, but no one seems to notice, not even the sharp-eyed card men.

Like most of Regal's commercial releases, this one is worth having.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Just a question to those who own it. Are there any (big) issues with being surrounded. Not as in watching your show, but if someone glances at me from behind, will they immediamtely know the gaff? In other words, would it be ok for restaurant work where I do the same routine every couple of tables?
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I usually keep it close to my body if I don't have the best angles.That should cut down on anyone from behind.
JustAnotherMagi
View Profile
New user
Oak Canyon
79 Posts

Profile of JustAnotherMagi
Quote:
On 2003-03-24 07:25, mentalism101 wrote:
Or do a different routine.

Steve Bedwell's 'Re-Boxed', for example. Not only does it have a far more visual impact, but both the case and deck can be examined at the end.

They aren't the same effect. You put too much emphasise on examination instead of presentation. Sudden Deck makes a heckofalot more sense as an opener than Re-Boxed.

Quote:
On 2003-03-25 03:46, MagicMan1957 wrote:
i like the SHRINKING CARD BOX as an opener.......take the cards out of a BICYCLE card box,,,close the lid and in an instant,,,the box has shrunk to the size of a mini BICYCLE card box.....just great!

Sure!!! It is a great trick, but it makes no sense as an opener!!! Sudden Deck does! End of story.

"It really bugs me that "SuddenDeck" isn't selling as much as it should be and is losing customers from sometimes people that don't even have one!"

I am kind of happy that not everyone is buying this. This trick is too good to be in the hands of everyone. Since David deserves the dough though, I think he should have jacked up the price higher (after all the custom work he did) so that fewer people owned them. It is worth a lot more than it is priced.
"I am the best magician ever..."
-The Conceited Part of My Mind
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I think it would be cool to combine Greg Wilson's Heavyweight Boxing with this trick. So if you have a slow crowd you can slay them with a re-boxed type effect. Yes, it would be divine, almost too divine.

Muhahahhahahahah, yes, the world will be mine...

Lee Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Reactions To "Sudden Deck"? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL