The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Ventriloquism ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Hello brothers,
I recently began performing a ventriloquist act, and was wondering how I could make a Gospel presentation. My puppet is a cowboy, and I'm not sure how to present a message with him.

I have been asked to perform my Gospel show at a VBS this summer (pray for me, it's my first show of Gospel magic!), so I would like to be able to use my new friend (the puppet) in sharing the news of Christ.

Any suggestions on messages that would be good for VBS, or anything else, would be very appreciated. My plan is to take the first 10-12 ideas (wether my own or ones from you guys) and PRAY PRAY PRAY. Whichever one God leads me to use is the one I will pick.

Thanks guys, God Bless!

Collin
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Collin

Just tell a simple Bible story. Interact with your puppet. Have him misunderstand what you say or he could tell the story, either way you have to correct him. Again just keep it simple.

Find a story related to the theme of VBS.

Practice, Practice. You'll do fine.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Good advice from ChrisG.

Here is a link to a good resourse to give you some idea's. I've used some of them myself, but personalized them to make it to more of Buddy's character.

http://childrensministryvault.com/minist......raining/
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
By the way, there are some really good books for the Gospel ventriloquist at very reasonable prices.

If you haven't done so yet, you might want to sit down and create a character/personality for your puppet. I took that advice from someone and it really helped me out.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Steve Taylor also sells some Gospel Vent books:

http://www.stevetaylorpro.com/ventriloquism.htm

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Thanks guys!
In the excitement I guess I forgot that there might be books about it. =P I'll be sure to look some of them up, and probably will end up getting one or two, or three....

Chris,
Thanks for the advice, that is kind of what I was thinking, but hearing it from someone else is always reassuring.

Dan,
I'll look at that site, I always try to personalize anything I use if it comes from somewhere else. I'm working on a strengthening my little pals character/personality, but I do have him pretty well worked out. Thank you for your help as well.

Donald,
Have you read his books? If so, what is your opinion of them? You know me, I like to have two or three people tell me something is good before I go ahead and get it. haha, I'm a little paranoid that way. But when 18 out of 20 people said Duane Laflin's GGM book was good, I didn't have any second thoughts about it.

So, thanks again for all your help and suggestions, if anyone has anything else to offer, I'm all ears! Or really in this case, eyes!

In case you can't tell, I'm really excited about having an opportunity to share what I have been working on for the first time, and really starting the do God's work through my magic/ventriloquism. It's something I have known that I should do for quite a while now, so the thought of actually doing it is both exciting and a little scary all at once. It's still two months away though, and I'm praying and working super hard to have it top notice!

God Bless!

Collin
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Just realized I mentioned I was still working on his character, but didn't say anything about what his character is.

The puppets name is Clyde. He is 12 years old, and wants to be a cowboy. In fact, he wants to be a cowboy so much he dresses....like a cowboy, sings cowboy songs, and rides a pony. He is also a 4-H member (I was/still am in 4-H so I had to do it!) and loves tractors (although his father won't let him work one yet, which leads to a few jokes).

So as you can see, I'm working on it, but still have some more to do.

Let me know what you think!

Collin
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Collin -

I'm not a vent, and so I haven't read Steve's vent books (the ones he's written, or the ones he sells by other authors).

I've seen him many times in magic lectures over the years (and I've seen performances of him along with Rudy a few times live and on video), and I have a variety of his books and other products. I have his lecture notes on gospel magic (one of the sets), and I've done some of the routines from it.

Steve is fairly well known and widely respected. He did a series of lectures on kids show entertainment for many years along with David Ginn and Samuel Patrick Smith. The first series of those events was called "The Komedy Kidshow Klinic", and a video and audio product is available of one of those live events.

I like Steve, and I think he's a fun and entertaining communicator.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Ah okay,
usually if I hear good things about the person, or about other products they have, I don't worry when I go to order something from them. So, thanks!

I was just looking at his site, and the Encyclopedia of Comedy Gospel Vent routines looks very intriguing, especially since it has 50 routines, and is only $35. =)

I'll be looking around for other books as well, but in the end, I may come back to one of these...If I ever go away from it.

Collin

Oh and Dan,
I looked at some of the routines from the Children's Ministry Vault, and boy, I like the Fishers of Kids idea. I do believe I'll personalize that one, and use it in the future (if not this show, the next). I'll have to find out about the VBS theme as Chris suggested.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Yay, Sarah Brown writes some pretty good stuff.

I've also adapted the intro of The Prodigal Son as one of my openers with Buddy

GD: Good morning Buddy

Buddy: Good morning Gospel Dan. How are you?

GD: Well, I guess it could be better.

Buddy: Hows that?

GD: Well, as you can see I'm loosing my hair.

Buddy: Ummm, it looks to me you already lost it.(he, he)

GD: That's funny Buddy, but you don't have to rub it in, I'm a little self conscious about it.

Buddy: Hey, just think, you have less hair to comb now in the mornings. (tries not to laugh)

GD: You know, you shouldn't talk. It looks like you are loosing your hair as well.

Buddy: Nope, I know where every hair is going. It's moving down my back. I betcha that's where yours is going. let me look, I'll tell you. (Buddy tries to look at GD's back.

GD: Stop that, that's nonsense.

Buddy: You're right, they're all in your ears!

Balding men and children get a laugh out of that.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Collin,

As someone mentioned, there are a lot of very inexpensive resourses for Gospel presentaions and ideas. Dummyworks.com have many good Gospel booklets available. If you need them for summer VBS you had better hurry.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Yes, I know. It's coming up really fast...but I think I have it down between one or two of the books I've been looking at. I looked at the dummyworks.com ones as well. I should order it or them in the next week or so (after some serious prayer..).

Gospel Dan,
I like that! It wouldn't work for me of course, I have too much hair. haha

Collin
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
As a musician and vent, I have used this for many years.

Karaoke tapes or live music with the puppet singing is great. I remember being asked in Church last December, "why does Nigel sing better than you do?"

Songs on our list for vent included Amazing Grace..He's Got the whole world, When the Saints...

Aside...coming up week 3 with our church's Praise and Worship Team.

(I am going back to the Heart of Worship...)

(aside 2)...After all these years I noticed harmonica players are also in a hand position of prayer...

aside 3...during a "regular jam" I raised my hands while a musician led a gospel tune...and was asked by another musician if I wanted to go to the bathroom...

shalom...bringing up a joyous noise...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Harris,
You seem to have it pretty well figured out! As a musician myself, it may become more of my act. I also play Harmonica, but I never noticed the hand position like you said. Upon farther thought, you are indeed correct, which makes this harper very happy. =)

Thanks again for all your help guys, it really means a lot to be able to ask a question, and have so many of you answer with help.

Collin
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Well, today I ordered two of the Gospel Vent books from Drummyworks.com. I am also working on a script of my own.

God Bless!

Collin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Ventriloquism ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL