The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Disco / Dancing Lights in Kidshows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I noticed some kid performers use disco or dancing lights during their shows. Is this effective? Does it enhance the magic show? Does it distract or get the kids' attention? What type do you use?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
A friend of mine uses lots of rather expensive lights for his shows - even birthday parties. His style is very "Vegas-Glam" and it works well for him. It adds even more excitement and color to the show. I don't think it is distracting, I think it makes it feel like a bigger event than it really is. If you go to one of the traveling international kids shows (not magic, but Disney and the like), they use lights very effectively.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I've recently added a bubble machine to my show. I put it on during the last segmant of the show (balloons/music) and it is very popular. The one I purchased has a timer on it so you can set it to come on intermittently. Like this, it doesn't create a slippery build up on the floor.

I've purhased some lights - but haven't used them yet. I've decided I'm only going to use them for older children. One reason is that I've noticed the lights get very hot, and I'm a bit worried a small child may touch one of the bulbs and burn themselves.

Mark
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I noticed them on the terrible "Mr Lolly" childrens DVD that came out a year or two ago. Really distracting.

During games or disco parts of the party, sure. Not during the magic show.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 18:24, keeblem wrote:
I've recently added a bubble machine to my show. I put it on during the last segmant of the show (balloons/music) and it is very popular. The one I purchased has a timer on it so you can set it to come on intermittently. Like this, it doesn't create a slippery build up on the floor.

I've purhased some lights - but haven't used them yet. I've decided I'm only going to use them for older children. One reason is that I've noticed the lights get very hot, and I'm a bit worried a small child may touch one of the bulbs and burn themselves.

Mark

This is part of the reason why lights should be placed on a tripod.

I wouldn't use it for a birthday party in a home. A small stage show or larger it would work fine.

Also, since the lighting should be used in stage type setting, the light beams should almost always be aimed towards the stage and not the audience (of course there are many reasons to break this rule). If you are using some lights, use them throughout the show (not the fx lighting but par cans) to create moods. Of course this means learning some basic lighting techniques and also using another person to control the lights (and music) while you are at it.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Eventually they will trip on your cords, the lights will fall ..... make sure your insurance is up to date.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Sounds like way tooooo much work for me!
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
This weekend I was in a little specialty shop and bought a small plastic hand held battery powered fan that has a row of red electronic lights built into one of the fan blades. The fan blades are just clear plastic and about 2.5 inches long. It allows you to program a small message that spins around, blinks on and off and spells out your massage one letter at a time. It does this over and over. I programed "Magician Derrick Rose". I think it looks pretty cool when it is on. I can sit this on any table and let it go for as long as the batteries last (2 AA). This thing cost, ........... hold your hats............. $5 (five dollars). I'm going to put it on my table to music while I prep for my show. If anyone is interested in this little gadget, when I get home this evening I'll get the maker's name off the box.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
The very name "Mr. Lolly" invites snickers and cajoles...
God forbid disco itself from ever coming back. As for the lights..more things to carry than they're worth. It seems more trouble than one of those troublesome and weighty backdrops people think they need at a simple birthday party.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
As for lights, I recommend the LED flood lights, since they don't get hot, and can change color and are light and more rugged. I use them in bigger shows. They are more expensive.

As for bubbles, kids love them, but if you are not on carpet or outside, someone can easily fall - and that also invites a lawsuit. There is a DJ here that learned that the hard way. The Bride broke her ankle.

For birthday parties, I think lights are over the top, but that is what some people want, and Jeff gets rave reviews. Just remember they take more time to set up, so you may want to charge more too.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I have a fog machine and disco lights...

The fog machine is used during the illusions...and the disco light during a vent routine making the helpers dance... Smile

I never had a problem with kids tripping on chords or wires...my asistants dumb and dumber use masking tape to secure them. They are not on tripods...just on the floor. Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 07:01, MoonRazor wrote:
Eventually they will trip on your cords, the lights will fall ..... make sure your insurance is up to date.

You obviously have never properly set up lights have you? LOL If you set them up right:
1. There will be little chance of someone even walking near the cords. (most would run the cords along the ceiling above tiles or along moulding or even use existing lighting designer friendly patches in the ceiling/wall).

2. If you have set it up where the cords run on the ground, have them run along the base of a wall with the fewest, if any, foot traffic access points (doorways). Cover with 4-6 inch duct tape/stage tape or cover the small pathway with a carpet or "cord bridge".

3. If you set it up on the floor right also, you have it so there is plenty of slack (I use 3-5 feet of slack nicely put at the base of the tripod). This is just in case by chance something does happen. You also have the tripod with ample floor coverage/spread. You run the cord from the bottom of the base to the lights lightly wrapping it around the pole a few time (not too many and not too tight) and also in between a tripod leg brace. This allows also if the cord is pulled if pulls the bottom of the unit as opposed to the top with less chance of tip-over.

Note that all this is for stage/platform shows, not in house birthday parties.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 11:20, Tom Riddle wrote:

God forbid disco itself from ever coming back.

Why do people do that and show their ignorance (literal meaning)? Disco never died and is very vibrant. It's dance music folks. Hip-hop samples it, House music samples it and uses similar formula. A lot of funk and jazz and even blues use the sounds. Even some rock uses it (Red Hot Chilli Peppers come to mind immediately). All dance music in nightclubs is disco folks. A disco is a dancing nightclub. Go figure.

OK enough of your music lesson today. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 11:45, CaptainKid wrote:
As for bubbles, kids love them, but if you are not on carpet or outside, someone can easily fall - and that also invites a lawsuit. There is a DJ here that learned that the hard way. The Bride broke her ankle.

Some halls won't allow bubble machines and confetti.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 18:06, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 11:20, Tom Riddle wrote:

God forbid disco itself from ever coming back.

Why do people do that and show their ignorance (literal meaning)? Disco never died and is very vibrant. It's dance music folks. Hip-hop samples it, House music samples it and uses similar formula. A lot of funk and jazz and even blues use the sounds. Even some rock uses it (Red Hot Chilli Peppers come to mind immediately). All dance music in nightclubs is disco folks. A disco is a dancing nightclub. Go figure.

OK enough of your music lesson today. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Ignorance? I hardly think so. I speak of the time Disco was the dominant music anc cultural "fad" form and the term "disco" used as slang for such. I'm betting Mrs. Riddle and I were "disco-ing" before you were out of diapers....Mrs. Riddle loved to "disco" the night away as it were.
Why do some people nit-pick and insist on showing off what they think is a "superior intellect" here? Hardly "helping magicians" I think....but tell me Mr. Nuvo...have you "disco-ed" to "Disco Duck" in the past? I believe this was the only worthwhile Disco tune...and sung by a very famously "foul" singer....
Back on topic. does anyone have photos to show this kind of "light parade" to us? I am dying to see what performers using such selling-points are actually setting up in people's homes.
A few years back the BBC showed "Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"...visions of Clark Griswold doing a children's programme come to mind.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I was out of diapers Tom. And Disco Duck happened to be my first piece of music bought on 8 track cassette. No I didn't do it in a disco though (wasn't old enough) LOL.

Even though for me this is all tongue in cheek, I am helping others by informing them with more knowledge. Believe me, I understand where you are coming from (and thank-you for clearing up some of the ignorance I !@#umed you had...my apologies). The term "Disco" is often referred to the music coming from the clubs from 1974-1980. Most of it was good, but what happened it that music execs found out about this trend and tried to captitalize on it by "disco-ing" everything. They produced very poor groups like the Village People and a lot of nameless artists. What happened was that really good acts were not in the mainstream and therefore people !@#ociated disco with the bad acts. Same thing happened in the 90s with Techno/House music. Here was this underground musical form that was quickly growing and people tried to cash in on it making "techno" remixes of everything and people started thinking that those poor pieces of music were representative of what techno/house was because this is what hit the mainstream.

Back on topic.

I agree with Tom. I can't see how this would work in a home and if anyone has video of lighting used in this setting, I'd like to see it.
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I also have a smoke machine, I'm using it before I enter the stage area for the magic show. I also experienced having disco lights in the stage, its great and can build up drama and good scene.
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Make dancing with disco lights and music a different package after the magic show performance. Some customers will perfer that package. All you will need for the music is a one piece "boon box".
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Make sure that the you are licensed to play the music you are playing
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone use this, I like it very much, but I don't need a remote control. magicwalsh@gmail.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD19vpkDb-M
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Disco / Dancing Lights in Kidshows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL