The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Linguistics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
No, not the semi hokey psuedo nlp dressings that are ever so popular these days...

I recently bought a book, one I shall keep secret for now, but it talks of verbal alternations...its a non-magic book...

a simple example would be for me to ask you now, to say outloud in an ever increasing speed/rate of repitition "SAY"

and you will hear yourself say that word, but it'll change into another word for a while, and then strange revert back to SAY again after a few moments or you slow back down...

so I'm thinking of messing about with the concept - this been used before in some mentalistic means?
I've asked to be banned
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Abraxus, that reminds me a bit of Diana Deutsch's "Phantom Word" illusion. You can find an example here.

For a few other auditory illusions, check out this article (and please try the Barber's Shop Illusion. It's fantastic!)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I wonder if you can make a list of words and try them out yourself. I then wonder if the new word that will pop up with each word is always the same. If so then you can have someone pick from the list and then repeat the word they have and you will know both words.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Oh! I think I missed the potential application the first time I read your post. Am I right to assume you'd use this particular "say" example in a card trick?

It's akin a game we'd played back in the days of first grade; you'd have someone repeat the letter "x" over as you would with "say" and giggle as a naughty word appeared.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
The Barbarship Illusion is wonderful. Thanks, Andini!
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Man, the barbershop illusion is amazing....

With the 'say' thing, If I'm getting the right word, I am thinking a dressing for a roulette type thing...
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Cheers guys - try the word "rest"!

I was thinking of a bank of words on cards, two people take one each, one says their word, and inadvertantly says the other persons too...
I've asked to be banned
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Dressed.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah - or red dress, or stress...

hmmm...worth experimenting more with this I reckon...
I've asked to be banned
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Ok, so take your forefingers and put one in each side of your mouth and pull your cheeks apart (east and west) Now say: "I saw a ship in site".
My mother taught me this. An incredible sense of humour and very good with splinters and stuff like that. I was going to do this as a PDF but then I thought what the hell, we're family!

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
How can I pull my cheeks apart when my hands are in my mouth?

I think you'll find that saying "bucket" works better...
I've asked to be banned
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Try doing the same and saying 'I am a banker'....
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Barbershop illusion is something I listened to about 10 years ago. They where called dummy head recordings. Try listening on headphones like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD580DS......0004SY4I
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I can remember back to when I was a University undergraduate, having just started on my psychology degree, one of the 1st things our lecturer on 'perception' did was play us a tape of the word 'kettle' repeated over and over on a loop.

Just as Abraxus explained, after a while the word 'kettle' changed into a different word, then another, then maybe 2 words,and then after a bit longer whole sentences, that seemed inconceivably long to be generated by the word kettle, could be heard.

"Take a fish for a walk" is the one that sticks in my mind! Smile

It would be interesting to know if you could guide someones perception to hear something specific.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Linguistics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL