The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are you a good cook? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Ever hear of a bannana Hammock?

hey now...
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I had one once, but kept slipping out of it in mid nap.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I can't eat Indian food the moment. Loved it but got AWFUL food posioning six months ago. Threw up for 24 hours!

Tricky Nick's Thai Red Curry

Onion
Red Capscium
Red curry paste
Oil
White fish (ling is nice)
Rice
Coriander
Fried shallots
Coconut Cream

Start the rice now! This ia quick recipe.
Fry the onion in oil then add past an a few tablesppons amount of water to make a thickish paste.
Add capsicum a cook until soft.
Add fish and cook for two minutes until mostly cooked stirring as you go.
Add coconut cream an some coriander
Lower heat and simmer for five minutes until sauce has thickened.
Serve on a bed of rice garnish with coriander and shallots.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Discovered this recently. Fell in love with it.

Orange Roughy filets liberally spinkled with Blackened Seasoning. Pan fry in a small amount of dipping grade first press Olive Oil (full flavor). Set aside.

In same pan, briefly saute wedged Roma tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, and slices of garlic cloves. Add a little more olive oil, if needed. Don't overcook.

Plate the fish, top with the veggies, and drizzle with Meuniere Lemon Butter.

Consume and experience orgasmic sensations.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Michael,
My mother does an Orange Roughy saute meuniere that sounds similar and it ROCKS!

When I first started dating my wife I figured with the last name Baldocchi I was in for some home cooked Italian......... the first meal was a pasta and red sauce that was purdy dang good UNTIL I saw the Ragu jar in the trash! She said she doctored it with some secret spices but I informed her that if she wanted to see me again she should learn her Nonni's recipe! She musta liked me because I've been eatting Nonni's all day slow simmer sauce for almost 3 decades now!

I'm okay in the kitchen but excel on the grill! I have a slow cook baby back rib recipe that has passed muster many times and have done Santa Maria BBQ for in excess of 100 mouths that is still talked about today!
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Thanks, Nicholas, but hold the coconut cream.

My first, last, and only hangover was a doosy, involving Myer's rum, pineapple juice, Coco Lopez coconut milk, and a stupid song about a mixed tropical drink that was actually pretty good...for the first quart. When it was going down. Several hours later, on the reverse route, not so much.

Yo, Lobo, you want Indian food here, bring the Trader Joe's brew that tastes like Guiness. [Not Guiness, thanks...they can keep their tiny little 11.7 oz bottles with the stupid plastic gizmo stuck in the neck.] And bear in mind that I use VERY little ghee, there's NO pan frying, firm tofu instead of paneer, and the samosas are gonna be baked.

Or maybe we can get one of the Iron Chefs here on the thread to cook instead Smile
JPK
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of JPK
Wow.
What a great thread.
Anyone want to discuss a cake in the hat recipe?
I come from a family that has a long tradition of chefs.
Sadly, my friends used to be quite finicky. This has changed over the years.
What I used to have to refer to as "Yummy food", I can now call by it's rightful name without the strange expression or out and out "I'm not eating that!"

This is by far the most magical thing that I have experienced with food.(in New Jersey, USA.)
My friends had all been subjected to bad seafood. None of them liked fish.
I explained how sashimi tuna has the texture of a perfectly cooked cut of beef.
Somehow, much to my surprise, they all fell in love with sushi. After that, getting them to eat fish, grilled, broiled, baked, or poached has been a breeze.

John Kardel
John Kardel
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've got a Southern-style cornbread recipe that's about half the calories of regular cornbread- but still has all of the taste. I'll have to find it and post it when I have a moment.

For the non-bakers- I'm a non-baker, too, but this one's easy to make. The one downside- you need a cast-iron skillet to make it. You won't get the crispy crust without one.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lobo, in the Carib fish is often cooked in a banana leaf and it is also used as a plate when munchin' on the beach and swilling rum like a pirate.... which I've done. I'm heading to the bay area at the end of the month, might track down some Indian food (third on the list after a good taqueria and sushi).

Yes Justin I've heard of a banana hammock. During gay week in San Francisco the radio station KFOG has great guest DJs on who are gay and they make many comments about banana hammocks.

As for me I am a great cook (everything but Asian, which bums me out) but don't know what I'm doing for dinner as we have a flash flood and tornado warning and my wife is afraid for me to go to the store...not that I'll get hurt but that she'll have to cook for herself if I get drowned in a tornado.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
As promised, my cornbread recipe. It's low fat, low cholesterol, and low calorie... well, at least compared to normal cornbread. Enjoy!

So-Cal Cornbread
Ingredients
1/2 cup white cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder*
1/4 tsp salt*
1/2 cup Heart-Smart Bisquick
1/3 cup Splenda
1/4 cup ReddiEgg or other egg substitute (equivalent of one egg)
1/2 cup low or non-fat milk
3 tbls extra virgin olive oil (plus a little extra to grease your skillet)

Directions

1. Stick a 6" cast-iron skillet** in your oven and pre-heat oven and skillet to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix cornmeal, Bisquick, Splenda, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
  3. Mix ReddiEgg, milk, and olive oil in a small cup.
  4. Remove skillet from oven (Carefully! It's very hot!), pour some olive oil inside. Swirl around to thoroughly coat the bottom and sides of the skillet. Stick back in oven for a few minutes while you complete the next step.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir until well mixed.
  6. Remove greased skillet from oven (once again, carefully.) Pour the batter into the hot skillet. It will sizzle. This is normal. Put the skillet back into the oven.
  7. Cook at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Serve immediately. Serves four (or two if you're hungry.)

* The baking powder and salt may be eliminated if you use self-rising cornmeal.
** The cast iron skillet is absolutely necessary if you want the crispy crust of real Southern-style cornbread. Otherwise, buy a store mix or don't even bother.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I live to eat not eat to live... I'm an excellent cook at home but I also love eating out. MagicSanta, do you like Dim Sum? When you go to CA, don't forget to have some wonderful authentic Dim Sums for me.. I don't know how to make them and they are probably very time consuming, but I haven't found a Chinese restaurant in Mpls/St Paul area with a decent DS...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Love Dim Sum! Story. I went to a Dim Sum place with a sales guy from a freight forwarder who was originally from China (PRC). We go in and the sales guy orders a lobster dish and they tell him in English that they are out of lobster and the sales dude starts tearing into them in Chinese. Man, the look of terror on these peoples faces was frightening and my boss and I told the guy to relax it wasn't a big deal. The workers went and got a couple lobsters and did whatever they did but I've always wondered what he told those folk. The Dim Sum was great though!
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
At 16/17 I went to culinary school, which was a very helpful thing to do.

Aboot 5 yrs later I turned veggie, so that stopped my major cookoffs but I can whip up a mean curry and some nice pastas.

I have a big problem eating out as a percentage of food I have ordered over the years has come to my table with meat in it. Being drunk one night and ordering a supposedly meatless burger, I took a big ol bite out of it and it turned out to be meat and me vomiting up in the booth.

How embarrassing.

I cook all sorts of stuff, like sloppy joes, bolognaise, stroganoff, all sorts. I just replace the meat with a veggie substitute - of which there are thankfully many.

But being single I only really cook for myself now so I don't go all out - hate dishes - But its always a nice skill to show off to the ladies.

They say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach huh? I think it goes both ways myself.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Believe me...The babes love guys who know their way around a stove!

No doubt!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are you a good cook? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL