The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mike Powers - Power Plays vs. Card Magic of Nick Trost - Nick Trost (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Quote:
Now I have to ask another question,
What is wrong with a self working effect as opposed to a knucklebuster. Do you enjoy doing effects that are difficult, just so you can show your sleights?

For the last time, I didn't say (or at least I didn't mean it) that Nick Trost's is worse than Mike Power's or viceversa. I simply said that I don't think they're comparable
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I DON'T think the New York Phone Book and War and Peace are comparable.

I've read War and Peace, but I' haven't read the New York Phone Book.

Take this information and do with it what you will.......but I stand by my position. .....I'm simply saying that they're not comparable.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think it's unfair when people ask to compare the contents of one creative piece of work with another.

Tell us what your level of experience is and what you're looking for and what might be better suited to you.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JimMagicguy
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of JimMagicguy
I know this is an old post but I found it looking for Mike Powers Powerful Magic.....

Reading the back and forth arguing I don't think you have to own Trost's book to know you probably wouldn't like it, as a full time pro for 25 yrs you also have to think of use, if you have to choose between the 2 and actually perform, and I don't mean grandpa knows a bunch of card tricks.....are you performing for money or yourself, do you want a book full of complete routines you'll get a lot of mileage from similar to Daryl's Ambitious Card, Sankey's Paper-clipped, or Williamson's 4 Card Trick.....or do you want another book where every trick starts with deal 21 cards into 3 rows.....There are 2 types of magicians, those who entertain people and those who entertain themselves.

And to the guy who keeps bringing up subtlety over moves, no one knows your doing moves but you, and if they do....take up mime and give up magic.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mike Powers - Power Plays vs. Card Magic of Nick Trost - Nick Trost (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL