The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Gas price and tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Hey gangs.. have you guys noticed your tips are declining lately??
Recession is upon us and looks like people are saving money.. hell my restaurant is not even that busy anymore...

Or it is just me?
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is just you....
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
Nash
What is the area like around the restaurant in terms of income, population, # of other restaurants, etc. Could be economy or gas price related, sometimes it's us as performers. You did say the place wasn't as busy anymore so maybe it does relate to the economy/gas prices.

That's a brilliant response Santa.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I haven't been seeing it, as a matter of fact I'm doing a little better than usual these last few weeks. Historically speaking, bad economic times are usually good for entertainers.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I've noticed that the overall business in the restaurants has dropped off by probably 20%-30% and I blame gas for that. Higher gas prices, people don't go out to eat as much. But the ones that ARE going out to eat seem to be tipping fine. We all have good days and bad days...hopfully more good than bad!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Last Friday at 8:30 I work only 3 tables, ONLY 3 TABLES WITH PEOPLE IN THE RESTAURANT, the oher 17 empty...thats amazing!!! The Economy here in P.R is bad now and people starts to prevent some things...eat in restaurants is one of that things.Smile
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I'm also experiencing a bit of a slow down at my restaurants which is typical for summer months when people are off on vacation. For me, at least, I've seen the number of calls for private bookings fall off a bit but for some reason calls by groups, organizations, country clubs and the such have increased. I'm glad my bottom line hasn't really changed but I do find it interesting and wonder if I'm seeing a trend.

I think (maybe hope) people will eventually adjust to the higher gas and food prices but right now they are in shock. That extra money in the sock drawer or cookie jar has been used to fill up the family SUV. Staying home and not eating out is an easy way to save a few bucks.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 11:50, lylemagic wrote:
I've noticed that the overall business in the restaurants has dropped off by probably 20%-30% and I blame gas for that. Higher gas prices, people don't go out to eat as much. But the ones that ARE going out to eat seem to be tipping fine. We all have good days and bad days...hopfully more good than bad!

Not to turn this into a 20 page debate or anything, but I don't know how you came to that number. It's impossible to accurately guess because their are so many variables that you have to know, and be able to see where the restaurant is going in terms of increase in guests, decrease, etc. I know that if the restaurants around here lost about 20-30% of their guests, then most would start to go under. My RR is one of the biggest on the east coast, and the GM just told me that they're still seeing profits rising.

When you talk $$millions$$, even 10 percent is astronomical. Smile

Best.
Steve
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Steve,

It was a just a guess man....chill out! LITTLE math went into it. If a normal night shows 100 people and the last few weeks, there seems to be about 20 - 30 people LESS than normal...then that would be 20%-30%.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 15:53, lylemagic wrote:
Steve,

It was a just a guess man....chill out! LITTLE math went into it. If a normal night shows 100 people and the last few weeks, there seems to be about 20 - 30 people LESS than normal...then that would be 20%-30%.

Don't worry, I'm chill. lol.

But think of it like this....not one good restaurants sees just 100 people a night. Hell, I can't comment for other restaurants, but for us a decent weekend night (5pm on) wolud probably be a couple thousand. That's not out of the question at all if you think about it from 5-11pm. So let's say we bump that 100 guests up to 1000. That 20-30 percent jumps from a loss of 20-30 guests to about 200-300 lost customers.

From there, let's use 250 lost customers. An "average" meal being about $12 at RR with regular soft drink. NO alcohol. That comes to just about $3000. Also keep in mind that there would be a loss in tips for servers and the cost of having additional help on the clock that's not working. That COULD be considered a loss of profits. Of course, I could be completely wrong on all of this. But I'm just trying to prove my point. Smile

No hard feelings......

-Steve
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
[quote]On 2008-06-09 15:40, Magic_Steve wrote:
Quote:

Not to turn this into a 20 page debate or anything, but I don't know how you came to that number. It's impossible to accurately guess because their are so many variables that you have to know, and be able to see where the restaurant is going in terms of increase in guests, decrease, etc. I know that if the restaurants around here lost about 20-30% of their guests, then most would start to go under. My RR is one of the biggest on the east coast, and the GM just told me that they're still seeing profits rising.

When you talk $$millions$$, even 10 percent is astronomical. Smile

Best.
Steve

Steve, you were once the learner, now you are the Master!

Obi-Wan Doyle will be proud!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Haha, thanks for the kind words Chris. Smile

-Steve

(P.S. I'll ALWAYS be learning. If I ever stop, then something's wrong. And that should go for everyone.)
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Steve,

The 100 person per night example I gave was just that...an example, to make the math easy for me to figure out. Again...I just guessed. Don't look so deeply into something that doesn't require it. It's not a big deal. The point of me saying that was my tips haven't suffered, but I can tell the restaurants I play are a bit slower.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
To semi agree with Lyle , I have also noticed a downward trend in the restaurant I work as well . But just this past Sunday, it was packed beyond belief and I received the more in tips than ever before. I know the reason but we will see this sunday to see what happens
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Hey Magic_Steve:

Your avatar caricature makes you look like you’re about 55 years old. All this time I thought you were some older gent like me ;o)

Funny
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 16:58, spcarlson wrote:
Hey Magic_Steve:

Your avatar caricature makes you look like you’re about 55 years old. All this time I thought you were some older gent like me ;o)

Funny

LOL! I get that a bit...it's because it's smaller though and the 11x17 poster size at RR. As of now, Magic_Syeve is all of 18 years old. A legal adult. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Gas price and tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL