The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stop spitting! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
As restaurant workers, we talk a lot, how many of you have spat on a customer while talking? How many of you have seen your salivas flying out in the mid-air only wish you were the only one saw it? I admit I have. What's your best method to control it? What would you do or say if it happens?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 01:03, jiayi wrote:
As restaurant workers, we talk a lot, how many of you have spat on a customer while talking? How many of you have seen your salivas flying out in the mid-air only wish you were the only one saw it? I admit I have. What's your best method to control it? What would you do or say if it happens?

I thought of this the other day when I saw a video and the Magic spit.

You can get up in the moment of performing and.....things can happen.

Swallow before you speak.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I would probably say sorry or ignore it and hope nobody saw it
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
116 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
I have this happen all the time and can't stop it. The worst is when you are working for kids and they're standing just below, I've actually got them in the eye before. Very embarrasing, hopefully someone has an idea of how to reduce the saliva.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Haha in the eye, no getting out of that 1!!!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I've never heard of this happening before. I've never once spit during a performance. Maybe you can work on relaxing the soft palet and talk slower...? I'm guessing here...I never knew this was such a problem. Wow!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 01:42, mcvicarthetrickster wrote:
I have this happen all the time and can't stop it.

For the benefit of everyone, can you please list the restaurant(s) you work??? Smile
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
I have the exact opposite happened to me... My mouth dries up like you would never believe! I am always taking sips of water to dampen my lips between tables so they don’t turn white with dryness! I can feel my mouth drying up as I speak!

Thanks, magico563 Smile
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
This can be a bad thing. One thing you might want to think about is there a cretin time it happen like every 5 sentences or every time you say the words pick a card. Then with this information you can work around it. I used this tequnice to pick up times I get tongue tied so however it can be of any help to ya I don’t know.

(I did mean this post to be of some help but it seems no use what ever)
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Never has happened to me. Thank God. But if it did I would play it off and keep it going.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I'm a fast talker, so it's happened to me a couple of times. I guess...slow down?
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Yep, talking a little slower is probably the key.

Here’s a funny thought, if it happens often and you can’t really stop it completely, have one of those tiny umbrellas they put in drinks handy to give to the person that should throw some humor on the situation up and take any embarrassment off you.

HOW about this one; you are talking with your audience and right in the middle of a word (usually with a strong “S” in it) a loud whistle sound comes right out of your mouth. This has only happened a few times but it was quite startling. The first time it happened I stopped right there and asked the people at the table, “Was that me, did I just do that”?! They all started to crack up one lady even said, yes, and it hurt my ears! Everyone laughed pretty hard so all was well.

I think talking slower even helps that bizarre phenomena ;o)

Steven

And yes, I do have all my own teeth, I’m not that old ;o)
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
If your mouth gets dry a drop of hot sause will fix that quite a bit.

ATG
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I know chewing gum may not be appropreate when performing, but keeping some gum in your mouth should help those who suffer from spitty mouth. I know it sounds strange cause gum usually gets the saliva running but if you suffer from spitty mouth I was told by a dentist to chew gum. Now if you begin to have problems with spitting your gum out accidently, I suggest maybe becoming a mime. (lol) NOTE: Gum should be chewed at least 15-20 minutes first, otherwise you may find drooling a problem.

For those with dry mouth, try a piece of gum. It helps to retain the moisture in your mouth.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
360 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
There are some UK pros who keep some uncooked rice under their soft pallet when performing. Looks a bit outters like you are dissing back of the bus boys but it stops you from gobbing at the patrons.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Spit Happens

Couldn't resist Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Take up baseball... they SPIT continuously. Especially when on camera. They also scratch.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Run away.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Slowing down is a very good suggestion. I also suggest being conscious of your head position when you speak. Try to avoid ever speaking with another person near or directly in front of your mouth. Maybe you can focus your gaze on the person furthest from you while you speak, then make eye contact with those nearer when you have stopped.

Good luck, because your problem is very nasty.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stop spitting! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL