The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting work at an establishment that already has a Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I just wrote something, but it didn't contribute to the topic.

1. If you feel bad inside, don't do it.
2. If you don't, you don't need to ask. (ref 1)
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 05:18, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 04:38, JeffMac wrote:
I really see a hard time anyone buying a story about me like that if they knew me in the least.
Oh and I convinced the owner of my current place to bring another guy in on a night I don't work. I'll let you all know if it ends up going bad.

You asking someone to work at your restaurant is very different from them approaching your restaurant which is what we have been talking about.

If it all ends up going bad why on earth would you let us know? Smile

Actually they applied I told the owner I liked the Idea. I did tell the guy he should apply when he asked. But I wouldn't have cared if he did.
Apparently there are some people who think this can only go wrong, I still don't, I was being a little sarcastic.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I've worked every other week with another magician for over two years and never had a problem. He fills in for me if am busy and I do the same for him when he has a conflict. It's worked out great for both of us.

On the other hand I have also had a magician try and undercut me and take my gig. I walked in for my regular Tuesday night gig and saw posters and table tents all over the restaurant promoting him on a night I didn't perform. After 10 minutes talking to the manager I was working that night also, tearing the guys posters down and giving the guy a call to come get his stuff out of the trash. He had mounted posters above and on either side of my mine. When I called him, he told me he had no idea I was already working at this restaurant (He's not a blind magician). I took a few pictures of his crap and then tore it down and got the pleasure of letting him know he wouldn't need to return. I also told him he might want to make sure a magician doesn't already work at future restaurants he is contacting since I doubt these guys will be any happier than I about him trying too steal their gigs.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 23:44, derrick wrote:
I've worked every other week with another magician for over two years and never had a problem. He fills in for me if am busy and I do the same for him when he has a conflict. It's worked out great for both of us.

Could you explain that a little more? You worked with him every other week? The same day, same shift? Not sure I understand.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I used to do 5 restaurants on 5 different days. I would regularly invite other magicians to fill in for me. It was job security. 1st, I always had someone there if I had a better paying gig, and second, the managers saw other magicians and the guest reactions.

Bands are hired on a gig by gig basis, A gig may be for a night or weeks. A magician is more like an employee, he/she is there every week. Would you go after another person's job? Personally, I am with Danny, I don't see an issue with it ethically. It is a free market. On the other side, I don't want to harm my relationships with other magicians in the area, so I don't. There are lots of restaurants with no magicians - why take one away from another?

If the employer was looking for someone else, sure. I have recently been contacted by a restaurant that was not happy with their current magician. Yes, I accepted the job. The other magician was on the way out, and he knew it.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Hey Kam,

We work every other Tuesday evening. I usually work the 1st, 3rd and when there is one, the 5th Tuesday each week. He works 2nd and 4th Tuesdays. We fill in for each other when it is needed. It has been a healthy working relationship. I think he is technically a better magician than I am, but I'm the better showman. He's moving out of state in August and I'm going to miss him. It's tough to find a person to work with like this that you can trust and know is putting on a good show.

Derrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting work at an establishment that already has a Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL