The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Starting out with Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Now that you have all of these effect/routine sources, you should also pick up Prospero's Staff by Charles Marowitz...just a suggestion that I think might help...

DT3

(You said you like Derren Brown...Derren quotes Peter Brook's The Open Space in his book Pure Effect. Well Mr. Brook wrote the introduction to Prospero's Staff)
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Mind Myth and Magick by T.A. Waters
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Practical mental magic Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-06-11 15:00, gabelson wrote:
As far as books, "Practical Mental Magic" by Annemann, "Mind, Myth and Magick" by T.A. Waters, "Stunners, Plus" by Larry Becker, Tarbell, and "Absolute Magick" by Derren Brown (just on performance) are the best places to start, IMHO. Richard Busch's material is for further down the line. Also, at the risk of being torched here, 13 Steps is a bit daunting to the newcomer; it is, however, a seminal tome, and an essential reference. Many current mentalists have taken Corinda's techniques, and brought them into the 21st century-- made them a bit more accessible-- (like Richard Osterlind).

Also, read everything you can by Bob Cassidy. Great insights, great routines.

As far as DVD's, Richard Osterlind, again, is the place to start. Also, the Unexpected by Nardi and Spellman has some strong, but easy-to-execute routines for the beginner, that utilize basic mentalism techniques.

Almost exactly what I would have said. We often tell everyone to jump right into 13 steps. Why? If someone knows nothing of mentalism or magic why would you start them with 13 steps?
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
I think everyone has been right on so far. Check out Marc Spelmann too. His collection is awesome.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I won't echo all the great suggestions made so far but I'll add:
Ross Johnson's SImply Psychic DVD is a great introduction. Great value for the money.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Many thanks I appreciate it. I've just received my 13 steps today!! Exciting times...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We are always happy to assist you and we hope you the best, Mary Jane.
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Enjoy your 13 Steps you will find yourself re-reading it many times and also going back to it as a reference. Everytime I go back to it I learn something new.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
You definitly wont go wrong with 13 steps
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Starting out with Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL