The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How can I protect a custom cover on a firebook? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Hi,
I am modifying a firebook and changing the cover, spine and back. I have printed on heavy card stock, on a color laser printer, the graphics I need. I need to protect it from dirt/moisture and wear. My first thought was to laminate them and glue to the book but I'm concerned about the reflection I may get from the plastic. Can I glue the cardstock to the book and spray this with anything to protect it?
Or is there a better paper to use for this?

Thanks
Tom Paxton
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Tom,

My mother-in-law works at a library and was just telling me about a machine they have in the library that creates the plastic covering specifically for book jackets. You might want to check with your local library and see if they might be able to help you out.

Lyndel
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Thanks Lyndel. I want the book to have more of a catalog look so a cover won't work. I am proceeding with the laminate sheets as I need to move quickly on this.

I'm still interested in knowing if there is a spray that can work on paper without cracking.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You could use a semigloss varnish to protect the cover and to give it a "catalog-like" sheen. Most laminating plastic also has a sheen similar to most mail-order catalogs.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Pressure sensitive adhesive laminating films are available in gloss and matte finishes. I've also used Frisket film (also available in gloss and matte) in a pinch, and it worked okay despite having a lower tack.

I've used clear fixative sprays to make printed documents more smudge resistant, but the laminating route was the most durable.

Ross
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How can I protect a custom cover on a firebook? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL