The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Customized Axtell Puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Hi Ax,

The recent discussion on Copyrights prompts some questions on customized figures.

I think this is an area more of us would look into if we had a better idea of how much they actually run? Or maybe additional options?

Your site says $5,000 starting for EXCLUSIVE rights, and $500 starting for NON-EXCLUSIVE rights.

Clearly, the biggest chunk of cost comes when Axtell cannot recap development costs through sales to other customers (ie, it truly remains an original creation for the performer).

That's a really KONG sized jump between the two options though Smile

Do you foresee a time when a third option might become available, such as an EXCLUSIVE for much less because you send us all the parts and we put it together (the IKEA model)? Or perhaps another option closer to customized, but not completely, say with mix-and-match parts (the Build-A-Bear philosophy)?

You mightt find that either of these two could affect the trademark good looks of your puppets though, so I don't know.

Just some brainstorming here among vents,
Tod Torrent
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Tod,
Steve's pricing actually seems pretty reasonable for an exclusive latex figure when you consider the design time, sculpting, mold making, pouring and finish work that would go into the creation. The fact that it is exclusive has to be worth it to you.

It would be easier for a soft puppet maker to create a mix and match style.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Latex compared to foam is a whole new diffrent ballgame. Not to forget that latex is more expensive and the way a latex puppet is made, specially if custom design is a more complicated process.

I currently can't afford a custom Axtell but God willing I have the funds in the future, I won't hesitate getting one or two.

Imagine the possibilities of Custom Axtell puppets...wow!!! Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Vinyl might be another option then, instead of latex. Again, just brainstorming.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Tod, (and others) brainstorming is fine but don't miss the opportunity to just eMail or PM Steve Axtell for the real answers to your questions. He knows his business practices better than anyone and more than likely will give better answers to a serious personal contact rather than out in general public land.

The beauty of the Magic Café is we are all in direct touch with the key players.

I'm pretty sure Steve uses or at least has used Vinyl...again drop a line. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
The cost of something exclusive or "AXclusive" is at a premium. We cannot sell it to others. It is for you alone. The cost depends on the complexity and is often far above the prices listed as the starting price.

We have no shortage of orders for Axclusive custom puppets. The price will only go up even higher over time. We only accept exclusive design projects at certain times because of the high labor it demands.

We are considering a third option of certain new characters in a limited number release. This would be priced somewhere in between and limited to 25 or 50. Not sure if we will....it's for the future.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
By the way we can make Axtell puppets in vinyl, silicone, polyurethane, etc. but these processes only increase the cost of our hand made characters and custom.

The only reason you've noticed our stock vinyl puppets are less expensive (Amazing Apes & Vinyl Vern, etc) is because they are made overseas for us in very large mass production quantities.

Mainly we offer these as a less expensive way for beginners to be able to afford an Axtell puppet. It helps get them started in a way that they feel is still very professional looking.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
One more point. Any of our stock characters can be "customized" for you. We do this all the time for customers. If you want our Dazzle Duck made with blue feathers, mad eyebrows and army boots .... we can do this for an extra charge.

If you want a puppet customized, please send me an email steve@axtell.com

Modifications do not change our copyright ownership, and it voids our return policy, because we cannot restock it with the changes made. We have done thousands of modifications for customers over the years.

Let your dreams live!

Ax
Steve Axtell
http://www.axtell.com
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Silicone? Dear me, even puppets are having "work done"!!!
;)
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hey Ax, if my mother in law gets in touch with you, please turn down any custom silicone work she might request Smile

Seriously, I will get a custom Axtell Puppet in the future...Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Ha!
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Customized Axtell Puppets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL