The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » When to stop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Each performance is a work of Art.

Each picture is a work of Art.

As a painter never stops painting pictures over a life time so a magician does performances over his.

Each performance is different as each painting is different.

A painter may paint many paintings that look similar. A performer may perform similar routines. George Stubbs for example painted many pictures of racehorses.

A performance of magic is not a work of art in progress and unfinished but a finished work of art.

Do you agree with that or not?

Gimme hope, Jo'anna
Hope, Jo'anna
Gimme hope, Jo'anna
'Fore the morning come
Gimme hope, Jo'anna
Hope, Jo'anna
Hope before the morning come
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Well it simplifies the question, Tommy.

Now we can say the artist is finished with a work of art when his thirty minutes is up.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It also clarifies what our art is.

Try this for size: Smile

If his art is good the audience will appreciate the performance.

Ask the audience if they appreciate next weeks art and they will ask what the **** is next weeks art and how can we appreciate it if has not been created yet?

When does a magician know when to stop working on his act? When he thinks it is ready to fore-fill his intentions in performance. Then he stops working on it and then a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. Do: to perform (an act, duty, role, etc.)

Stan' up an' fight until you hear de bell,
Stan' toe to toe, trade blow fer blow,
Keep punchin' till you make yer punches tell,
Show dat crowd watcher know!
Until you hear dat bell, dat final bell,
Stan' up an' fight like hell!"

When you hear de bell its too late to think about last weeks fight and if your thinking about next weeks fight during the fight and working on that then you are likely get yourself sparked. Win or lose of course learn from the experience work on jab or what ever.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really, something in this thread was clarified?

Funny all I see are attempts to look all philisophical and try to engage in speculation about nonsense to further obscure some VERY basic principals, that don't need obscuring.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
All I see is the kind of person who when painting his wall, puts on two coats to keep warm.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually what you see is someone who makes a living for 20 years using the nonsense you try to pontificate about and act all smart.

I will admit though that I think a hard drive is from Branson to Chicago.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Actually I wouldn’t employ you to paint a wall from what I have actually seen you do. That is not bashing you but I am simply not a fan of your work. I wouldn’t agree that am talking about the nonsense that you do in fact.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Everyone has an opinion. You are simply entitled to one, thank you for the feedback. I will give it all the creedence it deserves.

I am not a fan of armchair performers, guys who pontificate without doing, and then use terms like "our art" as if you ever step in front of people.

I am not bashing you mind you, just not a fan of talkers who don't do every once in a while.

Incidently I would not employ me to paint a wall either. I mean I have read a lot of books on it, I have read some philisophical treatments of the subject which I think I can apply to the process, I have talked endlessly about it on the internet, I even tell others who do it how they can best do it, I even use terms like "our art" when I tell those experienced at doing it how to do it better.

BUT right where the rubber meets the road, I have not done it that much. I paint my walls, I help my friends paint some walls, but I am not a professional. Mind you it does not stop me from having an opinion, it does not stop me from doing any of those other things I mentioned, I just lack any REAL WORLD knowlege of painting walls. If I was to try to paint your wall, it would end up pretty bad I bet. A bunch of things I didn't expect would probably happen that you only learn by actually painting walls for a long time.

In the end you make a wise decision by not having me paint your wall I must say.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Now is when to stop. This is the best time.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » When to stop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL