The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Spring Raccoon Bit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Hey all,

I wanted to share a revelation that I had on spring puppets and see if anyone else can offer up similar insight.

First, let me explain that I've been working with a Robbie Raccoon (Generic, crappier Rocky that is made by Magic Makers...) One thing that stood out for me, is that this guy really works on kids that do not go in for Magic. My niece could give a hang about my sponge ball routine, but she goes crazy for this spring loaded puppet.

So it has me taking a second look at the possibilities. All of a sudden I realized I have a trained animal without the training. See, no one ever pitched it that way to me, so I didn't realize what a great thing I have.

Robbie can squeek on command (if you have a squeeker) in order to answer questions. Or perhaps jump through a hoop, or jump from my arm and into my hat.

The best idea that I've had to date, is to make him perform stupid magic. The idea is that he is dumb, but he is doing his best to astound you, which makes it funny. (You will need MUCH personality to pull this off)

Tell the audience that Robbie is going to perform his miracle for them, make him nod his head REALLY big and proud. Then set down on the table in front of him a packet of ketchup and a packet of mustard. Then hold a handkerchief like a screen in front of the two packets. Make a big show of rocky bobbing his head up and down over the handkerchief (use his nose to move the packets around). Then when he pops his head up, ask if he is ready (another really big dumb happy nod). Throw the handkerchief away to reveal that the packets magically changed places. At this point make the Raccoon bow to appreciative (and sympathetic) applause.

Of course this is stupid. That is what makes it funny.

Does anyone else have a funny bit like this that they would like to share. Not something regurgitated like throwing him down on the table to knock him dead for the waiter (sigh...) something original.

Thanks,
D
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I LOVE your stupid magic trick and no, I'm afraid I don't have something to contribute. But I do have a newly purchased raccoon and hope others contribute funny bits here.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
David Williamson is an expert on this. You may want to check his videos.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
The stupid magic sounds like fun.
The late Bill Boley has some routines you might like in his School Show video.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
All,

I appreciate the responses so far, I will definitely check these videos. Really I was hoping to share something original and hear others share something original.

Please do me one favor. If you do appreciate my idea, and just do not want to share your own original ideas with the world, at least private message me your bit and I will keep it to myself.

I joined this forum in the hopes of growing with other magicians. I'm not great. Honestly, I'm trying to develop myself into something unique, and that is going to take some mentoring and friendship. I know from hovering in this forum for months that there are really talented individuals here who can help me a lot.

I've been offered my first job entertaining a child's birthday party in a couple of months, and I really want to give the kids a great memory.

Thanks again,
D
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
D,

It sounds like you're on the right track. I suggest you go with your own original material with the skunk. If you've developed the character and can sell it to the kids it will be a hit. The best thing will be that it's your own.

I don't do anything that I can call my own with Rocky, but I've overheard high school girls asking each other if the raccoon was real. Just as I've had mothers tell me their 4 year olds asked them to buy a bird like Vern. You have some good ideas. go with them.

I think you'll do fine.

Oliver
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I suggest that you take a look at Andy Walker's Rabbit in Hat DVD. He does a strong Rocky routine on it, as well as a phenomenal rabbit in the hat. Great audience reaction.
The DVD is a bargain at any price, but it's very reasonable. I think that anyone who has it will agree with me.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Can you give me a link to the Andy Walker's Rabbit in Hat DVD? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Mike
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Perry,

I just got a Rocky Raccoon today, too. The more I read, the more I'm learning that Magic isn't about the tricks. It's about entertaining people - and a lot of that is personality. I'm going to ponder this Rocky thing for awhile and see if I can't come up with something original, too. If I do, I'll be happy to share it.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Who makes tricky fox.
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
Just ordered a Rocky Raccoon today. Can't wait to explore the possibilities.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
There's now Robbie and Rocky, where can I find ROCKY?? and what's the diff???
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 10:27, Kyle^Ravin wrote:
There's now Robbie and Rocky, where can I find ROCKY?? and what's the diff???

My question exactly. What is the difference? if any.
PWB
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of PWB
Friend of mine uses a change bag, a piece of black fake pelt and a spring skunk to make Robbie the raccoon in disguise.
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Robbie isn't quite as realistic as rocky, and then there is roxie, I use all three,in different circumstances, I use an arm chopper in my kid shows, but never even considered having a kid put an arm in it, rocky keeps wanting to be in the act so I use him in the arm chopper, after he sees what is happening, runs away, is visably shaking in fear etc, roxie is a girl, ,i added bows to her hair etc, she is my "lovely lady assistant, (I do asrah of my own design with her) I like these guys, always have a skunk or one of the raccoons in walkarounds, even have a special pocket in my wizard robe for one of them
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I love to use puppets including spring animals.

One bit that I added to the "raccoon" is to have him drink from a cup that does have water in the bottom.

First time (like many bits) was an accident. When water flew off his mouth as I took him out of the cup...caused a great reaction.

My show is very puppet heavy...(he's not heavy ..he's my puppet ..said Nigel..the puppet that Rocks and Talks...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I don't have a raccoon, but I wanted to mention a resource that I thought was hilarious. Bill Abbott's DVD set on performing magic for kids has a great segment with a monkey puppet. It is Chico the Mind Reader. Basic plot is that the monkey is going to read a mind (pick a card, he reads your mind and then identifies your card). Lots of silly business later, Chico picks the wrong card, but it all comes out right in the end.

If I wanted to use a Rocky, I'd probably use it to break up the magic a bit and do a faux hypnosis routine. Put him in a trance, tell him to do something fairly basic like lie perfectly still. Then command him to walk in circles to the left and have him go right. Eventually just reveal that he isn't hypnotized because he refuses to do something like pretend he's a chicken. For me, the puppet would have to be a totally silly bit that is related to the magic without being a magic trick.

-Patrick
magicmanbr
View Profile
New user
Brazil
12 Posts

Profile of magicmanbr
Ventriloquist living in Brazil!
http://www.twitter.com/ilogico
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Such a classic ! It's too bad that so many magicians do this routine almost verbatim, and not as well as Dave. However, it is the best....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
During the football(american that is) season..if the Chiefs are having a rough go, I have "Bob" do a Chiefs imitation...Throw him to spectator and when he throws it back...I drop him and then do the incomplete referee sign.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Spring Raccoon Bit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL