The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What Would You Do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
So I am booked with a deposit and a signed contract for a 4 day (2 hours per day) magic class for a summer program about 30 miles from home. I show up the first day to a "organizer" who informs me that the class isn't for another 2 weeks. I must be early. I let them know that I have the agreement in the car. I walk out to my car and back in. I can't find the "organizer" and so I wait for 5 or 10 minutes and finally ask where this person went. I am informed that this person is at the lake (5 miles away) with the swimmers. I am also informed that this person isn't expected back until the end of the session (another 2 hours). I ask where the lake is. I get to the lake and wait while the current group of swimmers is rated for placement. The organizer sees me and finally comes out of the water. I show this person the signed contract with this week as the dates and this person's signature. This person really thought it was next week.

What would you do?

I'll tell you what I did... I offered her a 3 day (not 4) workshop for the full agreed upon price or a 30 minute magic show for the deposit.

According to the contract, I could keep the deposit. I was polite and professional (even though I was burning up inside) while dealing with this but I wonder if there is a better answer.
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
A situation like that would have led some people to screaming rage and violence. I would say you handled it really well, coming out with something for your trouble instead of a law suit.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You handled that like a pro. Good job.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Did you do a show confirmation call, a couple of days before the show date (or in this case, the magic class date)?

By doing something as simple as this, it solves many problems.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Donald is absolutely right......you've got to reconfirm a few days prior to the program or class. Personnel change, plans change and sometimes the details get lost in the shuffle. A quick contact a few days prior to the start of a class or event is professional and prudent. It's just good business. Your offer of compromise was a good idea.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I didn't (and don't make a habit of) confirmation calls. Perhaps I should.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I think you did an excellent job of handling this. Professional all the way. I echo the importance of making confirmation calls several days ahead of every event. Plans change and makig these calls saves you lost time and trouble. It's the professional thing to do.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 15:10, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Did you do a show confirmation call, a couple of days before the show date (or in this case, the magic class date)?

Yes, certainly, it should be a regular part of your protocol.

Nonetheless, if you called 2 or 3 days before the engagement only to discover that they had the wrong date, it leaves you with ... the wrong date. And all that leads to.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
You handled it perfectly!
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
Sounds like you handled it well.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Good handle but I do agree with all being said. Ensure the confirmation. I always try to confirm all gigs a few days in advance.

A magician here where I live showed up at a door, just him and his rabbit and no one was home. The last time he did not confirm for sure.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I would have pulled out my magic wand and turned her into a raft!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What Would You Do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL