The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Homemade Cups vs. Manufactured (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
For those who have both, which do you prefer & why?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What do you mean by homemade? manufactured? and cups?
cups and balls? chop cup? metal? leather? spun? CNC?

you'll probably get lots of answers when we are more clear on what you're asking.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Are you referring to "found" cups?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Painted ice cream cups? Cups like I carved from a block of ice? Carved from a tree?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I had a guy spin me two wood cups of my own design. They are dear to me but are to light for my taste so they sit on display in my library.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

By homemade - I meant found cups, that are either used as they are for a cups and balls routine, or are modified in someway (possibly to chop one of them for a combo set, etc). I wasn't really talking about someone spinning their own cups, but that would certainly qualify.

By manufactured - I meant buying a set of cups (for cups and balls) from a magic shop or online.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 02:00, Mr. Muggle wrote:
I had a guy spin me two wood cups of my own design. They are dear to me but are to light for my taste so they sit on display in my library.

Correction: You had him TURN two wood cups. You can't spin wood. Spinning is a process whereby the material, usually metal, sometimes a plastic, but not often, is formed around a block or chuck. No material is removed. Turning involves cutting material away from a solid block of wood, metal or plastic.

Quote:
On 2008-07-27 08:10, Tony Thomas wrote:
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

By homemade - I meant found cups, that are either used as they are for a cups and balls routine, or are modified in someway (possibly to chop one of them for a combo set, etc). I wasn't really talking about someone spinning their own cups, but that would certainly qualify.

By manufactured - I meant buying a set of cups (for cups and balls) from a magic shop or online.

It depends on the individual case. There are some found cups that work beautifully for the cups and balls. There are some manufactured cups that are not very good. However, in general, if you want the cups to handle properly, you will probably be more likely to get what you are after from a maker than from finding cups. For example, few found cups have shoulder beads. Most also lack a recess in the bottom to keep the cups from rolling off the cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
I found a little Gem recently, here's the tale:

My folks are into drinking Gin and Tonic in the (albeit) brief English summer, but a little while ago Schweppes ran a promotion giving away free Jigger type measures on the tops of the larger bottles of tonic water, but get three and they make an awesome mini C&B set, they even stack without sticking, a true C&B find!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't waste 'em on magic... fill 'em with Gin! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I have a set of found / homemade cups. I like that they are unique. There basically won't be another set of cups like mine. They are also very large, which allows for some big final loads.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 13:38, Pete Biro wrote:
Don't waste 'em on magic... fill 'em with Gin! Smile

After 3 bottles of Tonic, the Gin was gone....

lol
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 11:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 02:00, Mr. Muggle wrote:

Correction: You had him TURN two wood cups. You can't spin wood. Spinning is a process whereby the material, usually metal, sometimes a plastic, but not often, is formed around a block or chuck. No material is removed. Turning involves cutting material away from a solid block of wood, metal or plastic.

Turn...I stand corrected. Smile
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
xs4
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of xs4
It is really very nice article.I was searching on internet from long time.
Thanks for posting such a nice article.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I like playing around with homemade cups because it allows me to come up with different routining and presentation possibilities, hence the opportunity to come up with an unique routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Homemade Cups vs. Manufactured (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL