The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Derren Brown copycat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I guess for me the question would be, is he just copying the psychological principle or is he copying the act word for word? For years I've done a "guess a number" I learned from watching Kreskin as well as a "guess a card" I learned from a story about how Kreskin got his first Carson billing. I don't do it with his style though (he had far more flair then I'll ever have as a mentalist;) )

If its word for word it could be outright plagerism... or it could be that he doesn't really know what the "active ingredients" are and hes afraid to modify it...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Perl
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
376 Posts

Profile of Perl
Yup. agree with you john :]
he shd not copy and perform the same act as a professional! no!

perl
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
It is really not that crazy that someone would try and copy the best magician out there. While it does not reflect entirely well on the performer in question, I think we all do a bit of stealing from our heroes when we begin.

My own act probably contains a good bit more Derren Brown influence then I would like to admit (Though my material is culled from his published works and videotapes).

Neither my act nor your local performer is doing anything that will really harm Derren Brown, and I'm sure if he does happen to come across this sort of thing, takes it as flattery as he should.

Mr. Brown is well aware that becoming highly successful means that some dilettante will botch your material, and I'm sure is perfectly content with this.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Let's not presume to know what Derren Brown thinks about this... Only he knows what he feels...

This is actually very very common in Magic, look at the copies of Copperfield , Blaine and Angel out there....

Price it seems you pay when you put really good stuff out there nowadays...

Hmmm...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Topher Higgins wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps. Will it stop him doing the act, or will it just make him remove the video from his website, so that nobody else can see it? Who knows...

-- Topher

And, you can't know unless ask him.

In my opinion, asking him is the correct thing to do at first, not to blare it in public.

Maybe he has permission.

Maybe he was doing the act before (although, if it's the same script, that is a stretch).

Maybe Derren Brown paid him for his act.

Maybe Derren Brown copied him.

All of those seem unlikely, and the last two seem extremely unlikely. I believe Derren Brown would change the script if he bought an act, and I given what he wrote before, I can't imagine him taking an act unethically. I merely mention the possibility for completeness, as it could apply to other similar cases with other performers.

If you don't like the answer you get, you can contact Derren Brown and let him know what you saw.

Let him decide if he wants to go public about this.

This is really an issue between Derren Brown and the other performer. Making it public too early can actually be worse for Derren Brown in certain scenarios. It reduces his leverage, since after it's gone public, the other performers reputation is already damaged.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
That's sound advice there...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Quote:
On 2008-08-27 15:33, Bill Hallahan wrote:
Topher Higgins wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps. Will it stop him doing the act, or will it just make him remove the video from his website, so that nobody else can see it? Who knows...

-- Topher

And, you can't know unless ask him.

In my opinion, asking him is the correct thing to do at first, not to blare it in public.

Maybe he has permission.

Maybe he was doing the act before (although, if it's the same script, that is a stretch).

Maybe Derren Brown paid him for his act.

Maybe Derren Brown copied him.

All of those seem unlikely, and the last two seem extremely unlikely. I believe Derren Brown would change the script if he bought an act, and I given what he wrote before, I can't imagine him taking an act unethically. I merely mention the possibility for completeness, as it could apply to other similar cases with other performers.

If you don't like the answer you get, you can contact Derren Brown and let him know what you saw.

Let him decide if he wants to go public about this.

This is really an issue between Derren Brown and the other performer. Making it public too early can actually be worse for Derren Brown in certain scenarios. It reduces his leverage, since after it's gone public, the other performers reputation is already damaged.

Ladies and gentelmen!! The culprit has revealed himself!!!! Dun dun duuuuuuun! Smile
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
I don't see what all the mystery is here. Topher lives in Melbourne and he says its an online video of a local mentalist performer. A minute or so on Google gives a few mentalists in melbourne but only a couple with online video. A quick viewing of them gives a performer doing a routine where a woman is asked to name an animal. ( Top right video) Is it the same as a Derren Brown routine? I don't know, I haven't seen many of his videos.

http://www.christopherbisset.com.au/gallery.html
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It seems to me that everybody here is taking for granted that an imitation could possibly be as good as the original just because it copies lavishly.

What about the talent? What about the performer's personality (even if the words are verbatim the same)? Genrally people copy because they have less personality...

Thus the imitator is always somehow butchering the original work, even with good intent. Thus yes this magician is creating dammage to Derren's work.

Even if he was performing the act better than Derren (which can be reasonably doubted), he would still create dammage to the original aspect of it: Derren would then appear as the poor imitator or people would get a feeling of "déjà vu".

In my opinion it's very wrong. However I don't get the reason why you are scared of other magicians asking this performer questions for him to make up his own mind as to how ethical (or unethical) his show is.

You would also give him a chance to state his case when, in the way you post it, we can criticize him but he doesn't have a chance to defend his point.

If you are the one, just say so and talk about your motivations. If you are not, give the guy a chance to do that.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about... If it is his, he has here on the Café he's NEVER even seen the Browns show. He's seems like a great guy and great performer.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
I think I know who you're talking about. I remember watching his show 3-4 months back...painful to watch.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Topher never did update us on this situation, did he?
He said he would, but he never did...

How could he let us all down like that? Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
The original post was made about a year ago and, if I'm thinking of the right person, not much has changed in terms of the Derren Brown's imitation.
MatthewBurr
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MatthewBurr
If someone wants to copy Derren Brown and do what he does, they must copy him exactly. He is a very smart man in his field. If you want to perform the same mentalism acts he does and pull those effects off buy create your own patter...it will take you a very very long time. Every single thing Derren Brown does and says in his acts are for a reason. If you have ever seen his tour "Something Wicked This Way Comes" you'll see what I'm getting at.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Hmmm. Seems to me that if you take an act verbatim, you must pay for it, if the original performer is still around. I have two routines which I bought directly from the creator, and am therefore permitted to use the act exactly. What happens if just anyone can watch a routine on video or YouTube, then steal the routine? Before long, you end up with scores of "performers" who don't really have ANY original talent or creativity, and who will ultimately devalue the perception of entertainers in laymen's eyes.
IF this performance is, as was stated, a verbatim copy of Derren Brown, then I'd think Mr Brown would be pretty "browned off"! On the other hand, if the routine is the same, but the patter different - well, then it's altogether another matter.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 04:18, gaddy wrote:
Topher never did update us on this situation, did he?
He said he would, but he never did...

How could he let us all down like that? Smile

Hiya. I did shoot an e-mail to Derren's website, but never heard anything back. And the video is still displayed on the performers website, so I presume nothing was done from their end either.

Cheers,

Chris
rebekahjoyce
View Profile
New user
AZ, USA
3 Posts

Profile of rebekahjoyce
I found someone who recently posted on you tube a stage show they preformed and it is word for word from DB stage shows. In fact he referenced the fact that he is copying DB in his vid description. I don't know If this is the same guy or not, he is posting under the user name LightTakayama.

Should I contact DB's blog Team or his management? Would it do any good to report this?

I did comment on a few of his vids that he is coping DB hoping if people like this guy they will learn about the 'originator' of the act.

Rebekah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Derren Brown copycat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL