The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are dangerous illusions okay for busking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Here's the thing. I'm going to start busking withing the next week or so. I'm pretty excited about it too. I was wondering though, is using a razor blade illusion for my closer a bad idea? It's the one with 5 razorblades in your mouth and then you pull them out all tied to a string. I am very into mentalism so I plan to incorporate that into my act. As well as a shackle escape and some rope magic. I live in Grand Rapids right now but I'm moving to NYC in a month because I'm a stand up comedian. Point being I want to busk for a living. Do you guys think its possible to make a living busking in NYC? (need to make roughly $2000 a month)
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am a professional magician but not a professional busker. If you can perform each of those effects in a professional manner I see no problem. I do not know the best order of the routine on the streets. The best way to find out is to try them on the streets. Whichever one that gets you the strongest applause should be the grand finale. What rope magic are you thinking about?

Does Grand Rapids, MI have busking permits?

A living can be made from busking in the streets. It will take a lot of hours. But it can be done because I noticed professionals doing it. I have no idea of the monthly amount.

Keep in touch with us when you make it to NYC. I might have some questions for you.

Good luck.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
In my opinion, I don't find the razor blade effect to be strong enough to be a closer (based on effect alone...persona can change that). Again thought, that's just for me.

In any case I would end with something that you can really interact with the audience during the first part of the effect and then end with you only...like an escape. Your comedian experience will add greatly to your busking shows. This will aid in doing more entertainment and less tricks in your shows.
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Grand Rapids requires a permit for musicians to busk but after talking to the officers in the area the said they didn't care if you were down there. The officer said unless you have a twelve piece band not to worry about a permit. I figure if they'll let musicians play down there I'll do some magic. I'm not trying to go out and make a killing. I just wanna get my feet wet before I move to NYC. I understand what you mean on the effect reaction. Comedy is like that too. Stuff might sound funny to you but untill you test an audiences reaction you don't know. And the other part is that not all audiences are the same so you may have great reactions one day and nothing the next. I just meant do you think parents would pull their children away from the show if they saw someone putting razor blades in their mouth. Also I was thinking of having two different acts. One for night and one for daylight. Night would obviously use D'lights and fire and the daytime would be much more mellow but still grab a crowd. I juggle to so I might use that to draw a crowd. who knows I'm just wondering if anyone has had bad reactions with any certain illusions before?
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
I was thinking of using Fiber Optics. How has this worked for you?
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have not tried it yet. Smile I got to get my butt off this computer and practice it. I will watch the DVD again today...thanks to you pal. Smile
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
My friend has used Fibre Optics to great use as a busker. Hit show ends with silverware bending.
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
I plan on using silverware bending also and maybe nail beinding. He ends with silverware bending? how has that worked for him?
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Works very well as it is highly interactive and pretty killer. He doesn't do full circle shows, but half circle and doorway shows.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I had a lot to say about this, but couldn't do so without tipping methods, so I PMed you about this.

Suffice to say here that I don't think the razor blade trick is good for busking for a few reasons. I actually use the razor blade trick in my indoors bar show, and it totally KILLS, but on the streets? Nah...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 12:21, magic924 wrote:
I was thinking of using Fiber Optics. How has this worked for you?

Here is more information on Fiber Optics: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
I'm working on a routine by david stone, he has a very good rope set made from several other routines including fiber optics. It's tough because the video isn't the most detailed. But I'll get it. I was in Detroit this weekend for the Speed show and the Red Bull freestyle motocross demo. I was walking around and then I came to this spot and was like this would be a great place to busk it was like a little market place. I looked at this fountain style sculpture and I realized that was the place you were busking last week. If you dressed jamacin and did magic there they pry would have let it go the jamacin shop there had loud bob marley music and was selling stuff and everything and they let him go lol.

But ya if your looking for a new resturant to do magic at (I don't know if you do that or not) check out the Hard Rock there. I was goofing around with some new tricks in front of my girlfriend and the next thing I knew one of the servers brought out a few of the cooks 4 or 5 other waiters and waitresses and the manager and they all wanted to see me do magic, so they definatly like it there. If it wasn't such a drive I'd think about it.

I was using the humming bird card at first with a salt packet and just moving it across the table slowly and it had them freaking out. It was fun.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 12:04, Bill Nuvo wrote:
In my opinion, I don't find the razor blade effect to be strong enough to be a closer (based on effect alone...persona can change that). Again thought, that's just for me.

In any case I would end with something that you can really interact with the audience during the first part of the effect and then end with you only...like an escape. Your comedian experience will add greatly to your busking shows. This will aid in doing more entertainment and less tricks in your shows.

The razor blade trick is an odd one. If there are a lot of kids watching you, it might be advisable not to do it. There is the risk of imitation. However, if you are cool with that, then it would probably be okay. After all, this isn't a kid's birthday party show.

However, as a closer, the razor blade trick can be dynamite. If you have ever seen Otto Wessley do his act, you know what can be done with it.

This said, it's not a fast setup.

Also, remember, razor blades are not as common as they once were. More and more people use disposable razors or razors with disposable heads than use double edge razor blades.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
The most complete Razor blade DVD is Helter Shelter The Movie by Bizzaro. It covers history as well as several different methods and performances. The DVD is very entertaining GET IT you will not be disappointed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are dangerous illusions okay for busking? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL