The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do you deal with hecklers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
How do you guys deal with Hecklers? like when someone sits there and shouts things during your show about "I already saw that on Mindfreak" or "can you do this" etc.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
There are lots of ways of dealing with 'em. You can poke fun at them, make them seem harmless, or go for a more direct approach. The best way to figure it out is to go out and try it, because not everything works for everyone. There aren't many performers who can shout down a heckler like Gazzo.

You'll have to try it out, see what gets laughs.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Harry Allen has a book titled "Sleight of Mouth". One of it sections has dozens of one liners for hecklers. It can help put you over the heckler without showing a bad attitude toward the crowd. The funny one liners will help keep the audience pleased.
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
I was probably going to go with the one liners approach. In comedy that's what I do and if they are persistent then normally I call them out which usually sets a not so fun mood. But then I give the line about "we've got a real good vibe going here don't we guys kinda one of those daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and now we've got to back eating like nothing ever happened. Just eat your food kids mommy will be fine." It's a pretty twisted line but it has yet to fail me in the club scene. If you google "heckler lines" you can find more one liners too.
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
It's just a matter of "juicing the jam." Every event in a show wether it's a heckler or if you drop your TT or your table tips over is just a jam. It's like a ball of energy that when dealt with expands and can make your show the best it ever has been.

I look forward to "jams." They crop up and it gives me a chance to open up to the individual and the audience on a more personal level. Be direct with the individual. Be honest with him/her. Play with them if you can. Learn who they are and what you can do for them. Keep it in the emotion of play.

Sure, there's a ton of ways to handle a heckler, but I like to make them part of the show and if you win, I've found that they can tip pretty big. They can make your hat bigger.

My advice, just work with them. See what happens. Know your stuff. Smile a lot. It's your circle. Draw them into it and make them comfy...

If that doesn't work then flush 'em and move on.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
John Sturk
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
120 Posts

Profile of John Sturk
I have a number of one-liners in my back pocket for hecklers, but I have almost never had to use them. Why?

Hecklers will sense a lack of confidence in your performance, and seize upon it. Eliminating hesitation, "ahs" and "ums," and creating a strong stage presence will reduce the chance of them seizing an opportunity to heckle.

Remain confident and in control at all times and you'll find yourself rarely being heckled.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I've got a pocket full of one-liners in reserve, however, we haven't had to use any yet. The only "heckle" I get is from little kids who wander from their parents and stay for more than one show. Then they tend to stay towards the side and watch closely.

When they see something they usually say it out loud like, "I just saw you put that in there." I turn to them and give them a "so what?" I continue and they usually go away.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Sometimes I'll raise my finger to my lips and just go "SHHHHHHHHHH" while I stare them down. It works for me.
When people say "I know how you did that." I'll say, "There's no prizes for guessing how it's done".
Speaking of Mindfreak. Sometimes I'll say, "You wouldn't treat Criss Angel like this would you?" That one has worked well too.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
"There's no prizes for guessing how it's done."

Great line.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
rayraysleights
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of rayraysleights
When I hear "I saw that" I usually respond with" "I wasn't showin you" that has always got a laugh. or "sir, I heard you have a problem with premature speculation"
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
Bropaul nailed it. Hecklers are my favorite people because they end up your biggest fans and give the most when you fry them.

Exceptions to this rule are fat young women, early to mid twenties. Maybe it's a west coast thing, but the vast majority of people that do the drive by "I know how you do that" are fat young women. Fortunately, they don't stop, so you don't even have to flush. I'm sure there's a pop psychology reason for this, but like I said, they usually do it drive-by or stand on the farthest, farthest edge and never stick around so it doesn't really matter at all.
magic924
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magic924
Haha my worst heckler ever was while I was doing Stand up Comedy. This lady sat there and made little comments the whole show thankfully the headliner went up there and RIPPED her a new one. She was a bigger woman as well. Rich Voss was the comedian that ripped her a new one. A new movie just came out by Jamie kennedy called "Heckler" check out the previews on Youtube. under Heckler movie
mattcramer.com
buildupmusclefast.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do you deal with hecklers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL