The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of Wood Cups and Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Hi,
I have a few wood turned cups and wands from RNT2 and others and was wondering what the best way to condition and maintain the wood would be to avoid cracking etc.
Is Tung oil the way to go?
I would ask Jake, but the guy works 25 hours a day and has enough to cover.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Jeff,
for darker woods, even some lighter woods I recommend Teak oil over Tung. Allow to dry overnight min. 24 hours then buff with a cotton cloth.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Jake:

Why the preference of Teak over Tung?

Thanks.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Thanks Jake!
Can I pick that up at Home Depot?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
You can get it at Home Depot, most of them, I know Lowes and Woodcraft have it as well.

Terry,
I've found that Teak brings out the grain better, absorbs better than Tung and polishes quite nicely with less build up than Tung. It's really a personal preference, but I just seem to get better results with Teak Oil especially on rosewoods, ironwoods and the denser ebonys.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I wonder whether Teak oil is available in other countries. Are there any grade differences in Teak oils? Which brands do they come in? Any preferred brands?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here is an interesting article about Teak oil:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/29.htm

and another that has a differing opinion.

http://www.classicteak.com/teakoil.html
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Wouldn't linseed oil be good?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
This is an old thread, but needs a better answer:

You should first find out with what finish the wand/cups are finished.
Putting an oil finish on top of a coated finish (lacquer, poly, shellac, etc) can make a mess, for these are not renewable finishes, with the exception of lacquer, which will melt into the previous finish(s). Mixing these finishes should be avoided.
Teak, tung and walnut oils are renewable finishes. These are absorbed into the wood, conditioning it against damage and preventing the wood from drying out. Tung oil is the best of these finishes, for it offers the most resistance to water, mold, etc. over any of the other oil finishes. After applying the oil and allowing it to soak in for 24 hours, check to see if the wood looks dry. If it shows sign of dry wood, then reapply. After the wood has soaked up as much oil as it can, the wipe it down and buff it with a sewn cloth buffing wheel. Using Tung oil in this fashion is how all of my wands are finished, to great reviews from the buyers.

Linseed oil is a difficult finish - and one that may not ever dry, leaving a sticky touch to the piece(s). I once used BLO (boiled linseed oil) on a jewelry box that I made and carved for my wife. More than a year later, it was still sticky to the touch. I ended up stripping off the BLO and refinished it in Tung oil. It was then dry and ready to use in 24 hours.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
Polymerized oils dry faster. I get my stuff from Lee Valley.

And with all these finishes, be wary of oily drags and spontaneous combustion. Especially linseed oil.

Google it and learn about it so you can be safe. It is hazardous.
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Care of Wood Cups and Wands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL