The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » How I learned to add disclaimers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I did a show at the George Gee(The largest local auto dealer) company bar-b-q. My show happens to include glass walking and needle swallowing. While all of the tricks went very well, there was some gagging at the needle trick. This was the first time I had performed in public, and was not expecting that reaction. To me, the needle trick was an oldie. Just a classic that I always admired Houdini for doing so well. I never considered that such an oldie could be 'shocking.'
Long story short, I got a whole lot of friendly admonishones to add that disclaimer in the future. I guess I also thought it was kind of self-explanatory not to go around swallowing needles:)
Well, live and learn...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have always been reluctant to do effects that use fire, knives, etc. for that very reason. It seems there are always some young people watching, and I just don't want to be responsible for what they might go off and try to do.

With an adult audience you wouldn't think there would be the need for such caution or disclaimers, but then the first ten pages of instructions for just about any appliance you buy are generally cautions and warnings. Do they really think I may take that sweeper into my bath?

I guess you have to expect some people will do pretty idiotic things...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Agreed. Some people will just do idiotic things ... even when they are cautioned not to. I believe that it is better to be safe than being sorry after that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » How I learned to add disclaimers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL