The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't miss the BMX in Prime tonight. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
They ran the eliminations over night in early hours and will have the finals tonight (Wednesday 20th)in Prime Time...INSANE and exciting stuff on a terrific course. Grown men with little bikes at WARP 9...for the uninitiated there were some hellatious crashes...for the real race fan there was REAL racing. USA's top hope got in a bad wreck and may be out with injuries...Australia has a good shot at Gold as does Latvia. Woo Hoo!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My boys both raced BMX as lads and we all (as a family) got involved! Neither of mine stayed competitive into their teens but we sure had a ball while it lasted! Doug, do ya happen to know if a young man name Kris Mullhouse is competing? He's is a local Bako boy that has had HUGE success in the game but I've lost touch with his dad. Gonna have to check it out!

Mick
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I saw some clips this morning and it was indeed WILD and COOL and worth watching.

But somehow I had some...uh...well...doubts about its inclusion as an Olympic sport.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Of course, I'm not gonna start singing Michael Jackson songs...I've learned THAT lesson.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Didn't hear the name that I recall.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/cycling/news/newsid=230268.html

That's about the Chullavista training center and there are vids too.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Jeff...the ADULT riders are dedicated to the sport and it's not just a hobby throwaway. It was acepted in 2003 for the 2008 Olympics. Since that time it has gained a big following world wide. The stamina and skills involved are of olympic stature...these are human powered machines just like any other cycling event. Watch it again...it can grow on you...it certainly is more exciting than a cross country I'll venture....what is also fun is the racers, to a person (there is a womens event as well), striving to put on a good show, so there is a huge entertainment value offered, like Beach Volley Ball. I think if you watch it, you'll lift a glass.

The outrageous course is also part of the show...the Chinese sure set the bar high as to venues!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I hear BMX has been rained out, at least for now.

The live coverage I have is showing rain storms over the course.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Olympic BMX, huh?

Next year, Olympic Foosball and Olympic Paintball.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Why is it any different than other bike riding contest?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Magicsanta, exactly...it's much more exciting and in your face competitive for one, with environmental monkey wrenches thrown in. It's a hard core RACE rather than one that just meanders relying on endurance.

Liken it to Snowboarding I guess...seen as an upstart. If it clicks, you might see the addition of freestyle with double flip ramp jumps. Smile

Also unlike Softball, the US will probably not dominate as here is some serious BMX programs in many countries. South Africa could very well Medal as might Latvia.
Fearless talent required.

Yes it did get rained out...they say it will be in tomorrow nights Primetime show.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't miss the BMX in Prime tonight. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL