The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit "stage fright"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
While my rabbit generally does not like getting poked and petted by the kiddies, and grunting it out 20 minutes in a production box, what I don't understand is why she won't move or "show her stuff" after I produce her. At home, she will pick a card with her teeth, making my daughters laugh with glee. In shows she will do no such thing. Any rabbit trainers/experts have a suggestion about how I might get her to do this stunt in a show setting?

Thanks.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mumblemore, remember that book you advised me to get on a different thread. I did email Dave and this is what he sent me back:

"Our book on training bunny's covers all of the basics and specific training processes needed to create a performing rabbit. it does not teach specific behavior paterns or tricks because every rabbit will have different talents and interests. It does teach you how to enhance and perfect the natural behavior of the bunny into a good workable stage performance. WE believe in utalizing the natural behavior of the rabbit to create a show. Only after your bunny has learned how to learn should you unndertake to teach what we call the un-natural trick. Your specific needs for a performing bunny may be something your little guy can do easily, if not try modifying the trick to make it easier for him. Not all bunnys are trainable so it may take several tries to get a good performer. We have had bunny's that could do a dozen or more behavior paterns and were worth well over $5,000.00 ea.
We sell our book "TRAINING PERFORMING BUNNY'S" the only book of its kind for $14.95 plus $5.00 sh in the continental U.S., overseas shipments are quoted on a per order basis.
Send your orders with a money order to Dave Emery P.O. box 821322 Vancouver Wa. 98682 Make sure the return address is clear and ledigable to insure a quick return on your order.
Thanks for the interest
Dave"
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Thanks Dynamike. I may have to follow my own advice . . . If it's any good, I'll let you know.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I noticed you said "she" when you referred to your bunny. That could be one of the problems. Is yours a Netherland Dwarf? I have owned a bunch of Netherland bunnies, but only one female. The female is far and away the worst show bunny of all. She did not like to be handled very much, and I've never had that problem with any of my males. She could be very hateful at times. She also did not like to be in the boxes. She would dig at times, and even ruined a plastic mirror in one of my mirror boxes. When I made the productions with her, I never knew how she was going to react. Most of the time she would not move. I hated this, because it almost looks like a stuffed bunny when they remain still, and it can almost reveal secrets too. Needless to say, I did not use her very much in live shows. (Only 2 or 3) I practiced with her, but could never get her to do any better.

Every male bunny I've ever owned was a better performer than she was. However, some of my male rabbits have been much better than others. Some are just more curious and want to move around more when they are produced. My main show bunny that I have now is far and away the best I have ever had. I don't know what I'm going to do when I lose him. He's getting up there in years for a Netherland, and I am worrying about losing him. When he is produced he is always up near the front of the box, which really makes the production look good. He is usually facing the front doors, and when I open the front doors he immediately sticks his head out and looks around. Then, when I open the top door to my production box he usually stands up and looks out from the top.

In regards to his great magic show performances I don't really know if it makes any difference or not, but he is a "low-show" quality bunny. In fact, the breeder had already tatooed his ear and was going to let his kids enter him in shows. None of my other Netherlands have been show quality. I paid more for him, but it has been well worth it. He beats all my other bunies hands down. I really can't think of any catagory where my other bunnies have been superior to him. From his personality and his stage performance, his gentle dispositon when being handled, to his coat, etc.

I really hate thinking about losing him. I recently lost a couple of my backup bunnies. One was a Blue-eyed White one that was "retired" when I got the best one I've been talking about. I kept him in case my main one got sick or something, but I never had to use him after he was retired. He was old when he died about a year ago. My other that just died a few weeks ago was a grayish color that matched my Run Rabbit Run prop almost perfectly. I only used him for that routine. Of course he was like a backup too in case something happened to my main guy. Now I only have the one. I contacted my breeder but he doe not have any like I want at the moment. Some are hopefully on the way, so I have to get with him in about 10 more weeks.

By the way, when I look to buy a new bunny I always try to find one that is not scared to death and one that seems curious and active. I think some are just naturally going to be better performers than others.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Thanks Regan for the tips about gender differences. When I was buying my Chocolate Dutch (good breed for handling - smallish, but not dwarf), the breeder said that a female might be better as the males sometimes spray and might musk the house. Have any of your males done that? Also, I decided not to pay the $200+ to spay her, and some say her behavior might be better if she were spayed. She behaves fairly well and is gentle with the kids, but just "freezes up." At home she jumps around the house merrily and picks cards from fans. In shows she sits still and just waits for it all to end . . . I may have to look for a male next time. And it sounds like you really know what you're talking about with regard to making sure they are curious and active. I'm going to take the cards with me next time I need a bunny, and pick the extroverted one who will "bite lift" a card from the fan (such a cool trick to the few who have seen her do it).

Todd
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
:44, Mumblemore wrote:
While my rabbit generally does not like getting poked and petted by the kiddies, and grunting it out 20 minutes in a production box, what I don't understand is why she won't move or "show her stuff" after I produce her. At home, she will pick a card with her teeth, making my daughters laugh with glee. In shows she will do no such thing. Any rabbit trainers/experts have a suggestion about how I might get her to do this stunt in a show setting?

Thanks.

Mumblemore;
Consider for a moment your rabbit's eyesight and what she must do with it.

Everything she does is designed to not get killed and eaten. Her vision is tilted in favor of defense, in fact she can see behind her far better than in front of her, that is why she appears to "freeze" out of the box. She has a "fish-eye" like field of vision and a lot of data to process when the loading chamber opens up in a new and strange place. This is why her behavior is so different when you work with her at home were she recognizes everything.

I have found that after my rabbit was produced, and I moved on to the next trick, she would acclimate herself and start putting on her own little show. Then moving back to her was trouble free.

Good Luck,

Bob
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Bob,

Your advice makes a lot of sense, and yes rabbit owners cannot help but notice how their pets are sensitive when you approach from certain angles to pet them (very sensitive to approaches from behind, and yes, they have few natural offensive advantages in the wild except reproduction and a strong defense). I've been afraid that if I left the rabbit on my table during a show she might jump around and distract, but I'll bet she will most likely just stay put (maybe if I give her a three-sided nook to put herself into she'll just stay there and acclimate). Then I can get her to pick the spectator's card from a force deck, which would be an outstanding finale to a kid show. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit "stage fright"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL