The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A fishy question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I have never owned a fish.

I am curious if all these fish tricks now out are kind to the creature?

That is, how long can the fishy stay in a small amount of "load water" before it is going to affect the quality of life for said fish?

How long can your fishy be loaded before the show and have you had any problems in warm weather?

All I know is that when you buy a goldfish in a baggy they always seem to tell you to get it in a larger volume of water ASAP.

I remember helping someone clean their tank and they put the bag of water in the tank water so the fish would not get shocked. So what can happen if you dump the fish into the bowl of water?

Yes I know one or two reading will say
"Dude, they are just cheap goldfish."
But they are a living creature none the less and if someone can give me some KNOWLEDGEABLE education on fish let me know.
Mind you, please just do not GUESS and give me your opinion. Someone experienced and educated on the matter only respond-please.

Thanks
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
While I am not an expert on fish, I have taken precautions when using "Golden Girl" in the only fish production I perform.

I do the Ink to Goldfish routine, but both in transporting and producing "Golden Girl", I use water kept at the same temperature as the water in her bowl. The smallest container she is ever in is the glass in which she makes her appearance so that her confinement is never such that she can’t move around freely.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
kreme
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of kreme
It's very important that the water in the vessel has to be the same one that was in the fish bowl.

I hope it helps.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
There are tricks with goldfish that certainly would not fit your requirements, nor mine. Such as fish being kept in metal cigar holders on wet cotton. Some goldfish productions are on that order, you will see that as you read the literature.

In my case, the fish is always in a container with a significant amount of water, never anything less than a wineglass...and in such a case, only for a very short period of time. Goldfish are very rugged compared to tropical fish, but just the same, it is not humane the way some people handle them.
quack
Brett Cantrell
View Profile
New user
Valdosta, Georgia
71 Posts

Profile of Brett Cantrell
Bettas, or Siamese Fighting Fish, are shipped and can be kept in a very minimal amount of water, sometimes just enough to keep them covered. They are much better adapted to small load production chambers.

Regards,
Brett
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Goldfish are very rugged and can handle temp changes. I have never had a problem using 2 small goldfish in the glass for Ink to Water and Goldfish for 30 minutes. When I am done with the routine I immediately dump them back into my travel aquarium bowl.
Daniel Faith
bob maget
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of bob maget
I've been doing tricks and breeding fish for a long time, I have several hundred fish and I know the fish for you... bettas, it can live in a small glass of water and it loves it and it can live very well in hot water. Did I tell you all the really pretty colors. I hope that helps.

bob maget
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bettas are a great idea that I've never tried. The drawback to male bettas is that they have to be kept separately. When I produce goldfish, I can produce several at a time so the audience will have more to see. But they are not as pretty as bettas.

I never take the fish out of the water for a production. There are plenty of productions with water fish and all.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have Fish Appear but Kevin James has one that appears more mobile.

Anyone have Kevin James version?
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
I have owned many Goldfish Gimmicks.

Kevin James' is by far the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » A fishy question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL