The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammar's topit book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
Hi everyone, very sorry I had no idea where to post this...

I'm writing regarding Michael Ammar's Topit book.

I have the DVD and the book, and am wondering if I need to buy the pattern. Definately, the DVD does not provide this, but the book on one of the pages provides a sketch of the pattern with the measurements. It definately isn't to scale though.

Can anyone (preferably) who has the book PLEASE tell me if this is enough? Or would I need to buy the pattern.

I'd hate to buy the pattern and find out that it was redundant.

Thanks,

V
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I purchased Jay Scott Berry's patteren before. I like it. If I need a second one, I rather buy it again instead of having anyone make it. You might want to buy the first one to see exactly how it is made. If you want several for your other jackets, you might want to save money and make the rest.

For more info do a search on "topit".

It better ths be listed under the heading "The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage". Look under the section "Magical Accessories".
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
You need to get one.

http://www.ammarmagic.com

The thing when printed out is quite large. Micheal Ammar only charges six bucks for the thing. It comes printed with all the markings a real seamstress will need.

Buy it.
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
Thanks kentfgunn!
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2008-08-22 10:19, Dynamike wrote:
I purchased Jay Scott Berry's patteren before. I like it. If I need a second one, I rather buy it again

Strange. My ex-wife used to make mine and she used the same pattern for years. My sister did a few for me after I was divorced. I don't know much about sewing but I have topits in at least 5 jackets (and at least 4 or 5 more that no longer fit) and I never bought a second pattern.
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
It is best to have the topit made so that you can purchase material in the same color/fabric as the coat lining.
I had a seamstress make the topit based on the information from the book. I did not have to provide her a pattern to scale. Mine were installed for $35 each. Unfortunately she has moved away so I need to find another who does quality work.
Regards,
Jim
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Funny, I was about to post almost the exact same question!
Based on the info here, I'm just gonna buy the pattern now.

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with information about the following, because the topit dvd I have doesn't go into detail about this.
(Forgive me if I seem ignorant, but I've gotten contradicting information from different sources, and I want to be sure before I sacrifice my jacket)

- I'm going with the Ammar style topit. Are all topits the same size or does it have to be adjusted to your physique (or size of your jacket)?

- The sizes on the pattern are in inches, here in the Netherlands we have the metric system. I'm wondering if this would be a problem for the seamstress. Or is it a 'simple' matter of putting the pattern on the fabric and outlining it?

- Is the pattern all a seamstress need to properly install the topit in my jacket or do I have to provide here with information from the dvd or book?

- On the dvd Ammar shows the cut out pattern, he says that this is a larger version, the actual topit is gonna be smaller. I'm a bit confused by what he says next. Do you have to cut out the pattern at the dotted lines or the lines that it is cut out at on the Ammar dvd?

I realize my questions are a bit off topic maybe, but hopfully they can be of value for the original poster too.

Thanks!

Simon
-
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
Quote:
On 2008-08-25 05:33, Simon Bakker wrote:
Funny, I was about to post almost the exact same question!
Based on the info here, I'm just gonna buy the pattern now.

- On the dvd Ammar shows the cut out pattern, he says that this is a larger version, the actual topit is gonna be smaller. I'm a bit confused by what he says next. Do you have to cut out the pattern at the dotted lines or the lines that it is cut out at on the Ammar dvd?

I realize my questions are a bit off topic maybe, but hopfully they can be of value for the original poster too.

Thanks!

Simon
-

Hi Simon, your questions are pertinent. I would have thought that the final size of the topit needs to be what it is shown to be on page 18, diagram 4. But I hope after buying the pattern your last question has been answered... Let us know if it is clearer after buying the pattern.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Well, I received the pattern monday (very quick service!) along with Mike Ammars 1990 magiccastle lecure.

I've also talked to someone who has experience with making and installing topits.
So, I hope the information I'm going to type is of some value for some here:

- The pattern is full scale, so all a tailor or a seamstress has to do is to cut it out of fabric or lining. He has to cut it out on the undotted line. The dotted lines is going to be the actual size of the actual topit, because that's where the the tailor is going to create a seam so that the topit is not going to unraffel (<---spelling?, I hope it is clear what I mean). This wasn't exactly clear to me at first, probably because English is not my first language.

I gave the tailor the pattern and he's gonna find the fabric that matches the inside of my coat. He's gonna show it to me this saturday and then right away will make a topit (he says that will not be diificult for him).

After that I will explain to him where the topit goes in the jacket and how to make the slit in the pocket. I guess that won't be to difficult for him either. I watched the Ammar instructions again, and they are very clear on how to install the topit. If necessecary, I will show him that fragment of the dvd.

Hope that helps!

Simon
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I just received my coat back from Ammarmagic and it is great! Note that the demand has been difficult for their tailor to keep up with which is affecting turn around time a little.
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
Kjellstrom: the page for Ammar's "topit service" is no longer working. I know I saw this service listed on his website in the last 2-3 months, but tonight I can no longer find it. Perhaps his tailor/seamstress is no longer available, does anyone know if this service is still available through Ammar?
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
149 Posts

Profile of surryhills
Can anybody tell me where I can get the 6$ Pattern? Ammar now charges 18$ for it....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-11-21 09:56, surryhills wrote:
Can anybody tell me where I can get the 6$ Pattern? Ammar now charges 18$ for it....

You will need a Time Machine, to go back in time and purchase it for the old prices. The longer one waits the higher the price rises due to inflation of currency. Sorry!
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Check out Carl Clutier's version. It has pockets in it
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Ammar's is still a good topit though.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
If you have the book, you don't need to buy a pattern unless you just want to. When I bought the book when it first came out, I just went to a Korean tailor shop, with copies of that section from the book. He made it for me and it was perfect!

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammar's topit book (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL