The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic From the Overground (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Just got Paul Hallas' new book "Magic From the Overground". This is a well produced and clearly written book which consists of routines from Paul's professional repertoire. These are audience tested effects by a pro. If you love great plots and scripts for card magic and mentalism you'll find a wealth of material within the pages of this book. All effects are precisely explained and fully credited. There are original creations and Paul's versions of some of the classic effects. If you like effects that have never been performed in front of a paying audience, then avoid this book. There is plenty of material out there from the "Undergound" where there are effects that have been performed for magician friends but not unbiased real audiences. But if you want to see how magic is presented professionaly read Paul's book and benefit from years of performing experience. By the way, there are no knuckle busting effects. Everything in the book is witin the realm of the average magician. Here's a link to the advertised description from the publisher:

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......id=14261
Here's a Café link which has the contents listed:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#16

Larry
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Anyone else?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Yes....Paul's new book is startlingly-good. Now, I'm really an impromptu-only guy, as Paul knows, but reading MFTO reminds me just how darned creative and clever Paul (Hallas) is!

MFTO is most definately a must-read and must-buy. No, it's not impromptu stuff...but what it is is brilliant.

Well done Paul Hallas!

Paul Gordon
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've only read through a few effects so far (been VERY busy lately! w/ child and work) but it is indeed very, very good.

"Psychic Poker, Too" has to be one of my favorite routines. It's also featured on Paul's "Clever Card Magic" dvd set and is ridiculously commercial. That one can be done impromptu. In fact, I think I will make it a permanent addition to the ol' repertoire. Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Same here Cameron, I want to put up a review but I'm so busy. I can tell you this though there is a lot of great tricks and his thoughts in magic are just as important in this book.

Todd
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Any more reviews of this book?
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
I just received the Book a couple weeks ago and having been reading through each of the effects as well as Paul's other essays. All I can say is: Great thinking and knock-out magic. As valuable, the Book details Paul's thinking process and the reasoning behind the choices he made in both handling and effects.

I'm so impressed that I am going to order Hallas' DVDs.

A.J.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
I have a lot of Paul's previous material so I'm familiar with quite a few of the effects in this book. I'm more interested in the section on Strolling Magic.

Can someone give an outline on what kind of stuff that section contains. Approaching groups, pocket management etc.

Also, any dealers in the UK who are stocking this?

Many thanks.

AP.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul's a first rate writer and performer. I really like his work!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
The book is well worth the money.
There are a lot of nice gems in here for everybody. that's what I like about this book. If you like story telling or packet tricks or mentalism or you just want advice it's in here.

The book starts off with "Twist in the Glass" and there is a trick called "Psychic Poker, Too" These two tricks when you read them don't give em justice. What a reaction you get from the specs, and so easy to perform.

Now I'm not a packet trick kind of guy but "The Fire Ritual" is just plain awesome of a trick. If I was Paul I would mass produce these. Great trick.

"DUCK" He even has a trick with the wooden card finding duck.
He has a trick with a credit card, coins, keys, post cards, envelopes, tarot cards, wine glasses, fire, etc...

I wish I had some time to give a review but I'm so busy right now I don't have the time. But I did want to give this post a bump because it is a good book worth reading.
There is about just under 60 tricks in this book. Money well spent.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thank you for the comments guys. Although in your enthusiasm TKO you mistakenly referred to "The Fire Ritual" as a packet trick when it isn't it's a deck effect. That effect WAS actually marketed in small numbers at one time, but I also mention why I didn't go the mass market route.

But yes,TKO, you often have to try the effects out to really judge the response they get, and I tried to avoid describing effects as 'killer' or 'monster' effects. The effects stand up for themselves without my hyping them.

The magazine reviews are finally starting to appear, I believe there has been one in "Abracadabra" in the U.K. (the world's only magical weekly), there is one in the current issue of MUM, and there may be one in Magic this month.

Even getting nice comments on blogs too; http://romhanyreport.blogspot.com/2008/08/finally-home.html

Adam, you mentioned about my discussion on strolling and table hopping magic and "Approaching groups, pocket management etc."

I don't really tackle approaching groups or specifically pocket management as I didn't really want to give again advice that had been covered several times in books specifically on restaurant magic. I do discuss the differences between restaurant and banquet work but the main thrust is recommending specific effects I have found suitable for these conditions (and if you read carefully complete sets are occassionally mentioned). Hope that clarifies a little.

Paul.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Sorry Paul. You are right once again. It's a deck effect not a packet trick. So I made a mistake for the first time again.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 14:10, TKO MAGIC wrote:
Sorry Paul. You are right once again. It's a deck effect not a packet trick. So I made a mistake for the first time again.

Not a problem, as long as you are enjoying the book, that's the main thing. Didn't want someone someone else picking you up on it, or thinking it was more of a packet trick book. I knew the words came out wrong, as you had discussed that particular effect with me before. Maybe I'll demonstrate the other version of that effect (described in the book) for you at the Kutztown convention next month.

Paul.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
That would be great Paul, see ya there.

Todd
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I will start my letter to Santa Claus!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Obviously the book was underpriced. You can pay more for it on E-bay here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-from-the-Overg......07r14813

The sign of things to come??? I don't think its out of print yet. I still have some Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
This book was just highly recommended by Tom Craven in the July 2009 issue of "The Linking Ring" .

Paul.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Got mine, looks great, haven't read it yet.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic From the Overground (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL